What's new

New Samsung BD-C5500 and older InFocus SP4805 - tearing of white text on black background (1 Viewer)

grapedog

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Parenteau
Greetings. I've enjoyed my home theater setup for quite a few years. My SP4805 projector and Pioneer DVD player worked without issues. In a move to start upgrading to Blu Ray/HD, I replaced the DVD player with a new Samsung BD-C5500 player. Now I have a problem and cannot figure out how to resolve it.

Watching Avatar on DVD (not Bluray) last night, the text during the credits roll was tearing badly. I also noticed during the movie that when Jake is recording his video diary, sometimes the text below his image would also tear. After the credits roll, the THX logo is just fine.

I was playing with a THX Optimizer function on an older Star Wars DVD boxed set and saw some tearing of the small white text on black. So, there is a trend here.

DVD player is connected to the projector via high-end component video cables. (I'll move to HDMI when I replace the projector) Firmware on the Samsung player was updated to the latest with no difference. The projector is downconverting to 480p. Setting the DVD player to generate 1080p, 720p or 480p made no difference. I even did a "factory reset" on the projector just in case.

At one point during the playback of Avatar, the projector lost sync with the input signal, so something weird is going on. I played the same Avatar disk on another DVD player in the house connected to a fairly new Panasonic Viera 50" display and the credits looked just fine. So, it's seems to be something between the bluray player and the SP4805.

Any ideas?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
How long are the component cables? With analog signals, long cables can cause problems. Also, have you tried different cables? I know you said you have high end cables, but they could still be faulty. This sounds like an analog signal problem to me, so I would concentrate on the cables first.

grapedog

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Parenteau
Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. At first I was going to say that my analog cables have been working for a few years with no issues when I had the last DVD player, but now I think you may have a point. The cables worked well using a non-Bluray DVD player to the projector. Even though this DVD is not HD, it could be that the Bluray player is upscaling a std DVD to 1080i and sending 1080i to the projector which is a new configuration.

When I buy a new HD projector soon, I plan to replace the component cables with an HDMI cable, but I didn't want to mess with the HDMI->DVI connection on the SP4805 projector.

Maybe I should get a newer projector sooner... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks