What's new

IMDB referenced in, refers to, spoofed in, etc. frustrations (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Am I the only one that gets frustrated by the reference pages at IMDB. I mean its just enough information to make you wonder what their talking about. For example, I just watched Citizen Kane for the first time last night, and now I am looking for some information that might help me develop my opinion, before I watch it again. Any way, I clicked on the references page and noticed that it was spoofed in Waynes World II. What the heck? I wish they would give some kind of example of how the films relate.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Here's a head scratcher. According to the IMDB, Star Wars Episode II was referenced in the teen sex comedy Road Trip. How could Road Trip reference Episode II if it came out 2 years before??

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Haha...that is a funny one.

I share the same sentiment...if they are going to show that the films relate, they could at least tell us how.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
How could Road Trip reference Episode II if it came out 2 years before??
Fans all over the world have been speculating about Episode II since 1999 (at least).
"Road Trip" simply includes one such conversation in the film...a film doesn't have to be actually released in order for someone to talk about it! :)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
True, IMDB uses several different categories to define how two films relate. "Referenced in" means a character just says something about the movie (anything as simple as mentioning the title or a character). "Featured in" typically means part of the movie was shown in another movie. This can even be a character in the movie watching another movie. "Spoofed in" means another movie actually spoofed it by concocting similar scenes but making fun of the movie, "Refernces" is what movies it references, and "Features" is what movies are part of that movie.

I am usually most curious about movies that are supposedly spoofed in another movie, but I cant figure out how even though I've seen both movies.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
My bet is that Wayne's World II and most of the other movies that "reference" Citizen Kane do so by way of the spinning newspaper visual effect. I could be wrong but I think that effect was first used by Citizen Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks