What's new

I'm using 4 remotes like it's 1990 (1 Viewer)

Wishoosier

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Bailey
Last year: I lived in the midwest and had AT&T U-verse. The U-verse remote could power the receiver, which I plugged into the 'master' outlet of a power strip. TV, CD player, and Blu-Ray player all plugged into the same strip. Turn on the receiver, and it's all good to go. And you have just the one remote. (Occasionally needed the blu-ray remote on its own to navigate certain menus.) Muted the tv's on board speakers to use the home theater speakers.

Moved out to CT, and have Optimum/Altice as a cable provider. When the tech came to set it up, I told him about my setup with the receiver, etc. He seemed to think this was very strange.

SO:
Optimum remote controls what channel I'm on. Receiver remote still powers all components and volume. Then I added Amazon Firestick. Including the Blu-ray remote, that's 4 different ones floating around the coffee table and getting dropped in the couch.

There's a better way, right? About to move into a new house, and want to get this simpler and right.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Logitech's Harmony line is probably your best bet. There are several flavors depending on your specific needs.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I use the Harmony Elite and am very happy with it. Turns everything on in sequence including switching to correct sources depending on what I am watching. I use a three channel power amp and that is no big deal because the amp powers on via 12v trigger. The harmony takes care of everything else even the Dish Network.

IMG_3063a.jpg
IMG_3071a.jpg
20191101_123424a.jpg

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I also have the Elite and love it. It replaced 6 remotes. I've seen it go on sale often for $250.

My father used a 665 and is really happy with it.
Both remotes are very easy to program on the computer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the Elite is nice. I have a 950 in my living room, but I’d rather have an Elite there too.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you want something much less expensive than the Harmony Elite, I use a Harmony 650 to control my entire setup. This remote can be found on Amazon for under $40. I control my display, Xfinity cable box, two UHD disc players, an old Oppo DVD player, Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, and Denon receiver. All the OEM remotes are stored away with the batteries removed. It's the best "bang for the buck" out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks