1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm using 4 remotes like it's 1990

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Wishoosier, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Wishoosier

Wishoosier Auditioning

Kevin Bailey
    Last year: I lived in the midwest and had AT&T U-verse. The U-verse remote could power the receiver, which I plugged into the 'master' outlet of a power strip. TV, CD player, and Blu-Ray player all plugged into the same strip. Turn on the receiver, and it's all good to go. And you have just the one remote. (Occasionally needed the blu-ray remote on its own to navigate certain menus.) Muted the tv's on board speakers to use the home theater speakers.

Moved out to CT, and have Optimum/Altice as a cable provider. When the tech came to set it up, I told him about my setup with the receiver, etc. He seemed to think this was very strange.

SO:
    Optimum remote controls what channel I'm on. Receiver remote still powers all components and volume. Then I added Amazon Firestick. Including the Blu-ray remote, that's 4 different ones floating around the coffee table and getting dropped in the couch.

There's a better way, right? About to move into a new house, and want to get this simpler and right.

2. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    Logitech's Harmony line is probably your best bet. There are several flavors depending on your specific needs.

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I use the Harmony Elite and am very happy with it. Turns everything on in sequence including switching to correct sources depending on what I am watching. I use a three channel power amp and that is no big deal because the amp powers on via 12v trigger. The harmony takes care of everything else even the Dish Network.

IMG_3063a. IMG_3071a. 20191101_123424a.

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I also have the Elite and love it. It replaced 6 remotes. I've seen it go on sale often for $250.

My father used a 665 and is really happy with it.
    Both remotes are very easy to program on the computer.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Yeah, the Elite is nice. I have a 950 in my living room, but I’d rather have an Elite there too.

6. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    You have me beat. I only use 3 remotes.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you want something much less expensive than the Harmony Elite, I use a Harmony 650 to control my entire setup. This remote can be found on Amazon for under $40. I control my display, Xfinity cable box, two UHD disc players, an old Oppo DVD player, Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, and Denon receiver. All the OEM remotes are stored away with the batteries removed. It's the best "bang for the buck" out there.

David Willow and Todd Erwin like this.