What's new

I'm losing color at times - only getting B & W (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Sony NS700P DVD

Sony WEGA

Yamaha rxv520

Everything is GREAT in the 2 weeks(?) I've been set up but am still playing with DSP.

This happened Friday night.

I put in a DVD and got ready to WOW my friends and all I had was Black and White. AAAGH!!

I tried turning off each piece of equipment. Then rebooted the whole dang system. It had been on a while so I'm thinking over heating the reciever?

Would this be a player problem? It happened tonight when I wanted to see the trailer of "The Mummy". I had color up to the WARNING message, then it all turned B & W. I fixed the problem by turning everything off once or twice but there seems to be nothing that is repeatable. No gimic that works twice.

opinions? suggestions? has this happened to others?

rod

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Probably a loose connection or a defective cable or, in the case of an A/V receiver, the switching behind a knob or button not making good contact.
Especially for S-video, be sure the plug is pushed all the way in. The exposed metal at the end of the S-video plug should be completely hidden. But be careful to push it in straight but not use brute force. S-video plugs and jacks are quite fragile and pushing the plug off center or tilted can cause loss of contact or even break something permanently.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I believethe cable goes from my DVD player to my reciever and then to the TV.

I'll check all cables. It comes and goes without touching so maybe there is some hairline stress thing going on.

I do know my reciever is pushed back against the back of the center so that's probebly the culpret.

thanks

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
If you can do it, just run the connection straight from the DVD player to your TV. There is less chance of interference this way. Unless you have multiple devices and limited inputs on your set, this is the way to go. Also, if you can, you will want to bring your receiver out a bit if it is pressing against the back of your entertainment center. This will allow the cables to sit properly as well as create a little more space for air to flow which is very important.

Pat

Agent
Rod, you didn't say what kind of connection you were using, composite, s-video or component.

I'm guessing it's S-Video, I had a bad S-video connection once and the color would drop out randomly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks