I'm almost done...recommendations for CD-RW & DVD drives.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, i'm pretty close. i've ordered my mb bundle, the case is sitting on my floor and i'm getting a western digital hd.

regarding drives...

i'm probably going to go with a yamaha or plextor burner, but i thought i'd ask for other opinions. the only thing i'm wondering about is mt. rainier compatibility - looks like it may be a good idea to have it now...even though microsoft won't support it till their next os release.

also, i was kind of surprised at how cheap dvd drives are these days (60 bucks or so at fry's)...anything special i should be aware of?

also, what do you guys think of dvd burners. i suppose that could easily replace a cd-rw and allow me that extra capability, but i don't think i'll be doing much video editing. at least not yet...so i'm thinking cost vs. current benefit value.

as usual, i appreciate any and all comments.

thx!

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

For DVD drives, I'd recommend Pioneer. $44 shipped at NewEgg.
    For CD burners, Plextors are excellent. Check out Lite-On drives, which are much cheaper than Plextors but offer similar specs/performance.
    I would hold off on a DVD burner for now. The standards battle (DVD-R/RW vs. DVD+R/RW) is still going on, so I would wait until a clear standard emerges.
    BTW, NewEgg is definitely the place to go for your peripherals. Outstanding service and prices.

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I use Lite-on DVD, they are pretty good, the best price I've for Lite-on is over at Dell (a few bucks cheaper than newegg.com for a $38 drive). With all the constant promotions, it may be slightly cheaper or slightly more expensive now.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cool...thx for the tips. looks like i'll check out the pioneer and/or lite-on brand a little closer. i never really thought about them.

good point on the dvd format war...i'll hold off.

5. Ed L

Ed L Agent

Ted:
    Have you considered a combo. CDRW/DVD drive for your HTPC? I recently built one and after a search found a Samsung combo drive that has worked great for either need. I didnt have multiple drive ports on the front of my existing case so the combo. drive really helped out. With no shipping charges I got the drive for under $80. Good luck

Ed -

6. Steve_Ch

My brother considered getting a CDRW-DVD for quite a while, but eventually decided against it. From time to time, he copies CDs and having a DVD plus a CDRW is just much more convinient. Price wise, it works out about the same, the 2 pieces solution of course means you give up an open bay.

7. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Can't go wrong with a Lite-On CD Burner.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey ed (fellow sacto native [​IMG] )
    i did think about doing the combo move, but decided it against it mainly because i do a lot of my owm mix cd's. so i'll definitely need at least two drives.
    the antec case (1080 performance plus) has plenty of slots, so i don't think that'll be an issue???

9. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Lite-On for DVD-ROMs and CD-RWs. They're often rebadged under other names too.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I also highly recommend the Toshiba 16x DVD-ROMs. It plays nice with other drives on the same IDE cable, so it'll be a natural match for a Liteon burner. [​IMG]
    I LOVE my Toshiba DVD-ROM. I was adventurous and found a region-free hack for it, but I dunno if such a thing is available for the Liteon DVDs. It is also capable of veru quickly reading every single disc I threw at it, including the new heavily copy-protected videogame CDs.

11. Steve_Ch

I am under the impression that Lite-on DVDs are region free. I have 2 Toshiba's they are the older variety, works great and region free.