What's new

If given the choice on a DVD: DTS or Dolby Digital? (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
After being a DTS die hard for a while, I finally realized that very *few* DTS tracks were actually superior.

Such examples are:

- Gladiator

- Saving Private Ryan (big difference)

- Pitch Black

- Predator

Predator was pretty much cooked for DTS. I'm not sure if its a fair comparison per se.

Examples that don't matter include:

- Last of The Mohicans

- X Files - Fight For the Future

- Cast Away

- Jurrasic Park

-

Just my opinion, but you can hardly expect a half bit rate DTS track to sound *significantly* better than Dolby Digital.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It depends if it enhances the sound.

Any films RELEASED with DTS should have a DTS track or version and DTS remixes only if the soundtrack can be remixed from scratch in DTS.

The two Fantasia DVD's sound great in DTS (Orchestral sound is great in DTS) and so do films with very detailed sound.

The DD 5.1 track for North By Northwest is perfect and DTS wouldn't really enhance it since it was only remixed from separate music, dialogue, and sound effects tracks (not the stems)

On the other hand, the DTS remix for Terminator 2 works great since it was remixed from the ground up.

In my opinion, silent film DVD's should eaither have the music track in DTS or PCM. You need rich and full sound when it's just music. (The PCM track on the City Lights DVD is fantastic...)

DTS would be nice for mono soundtracks since it wouldn't take much space with just one channel (DTS mono exists since Woody Allen has used it.)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
How do you know which one sounds better without actually watching a large portion of the film?

Anyway, to answer the question, I always listen to the DTS track if its offered. For the most part I never listen the DD track if the DTS is there so I couldn't even tell you if the DTS is better than the DD its just force of habit.

Patrick

Luis C. Ortiz

Stunt Coordinator
DTS whenever available, if a DTS version is available on a different disc (as Jurassic Park) I'll get that version, for me it just sounds better, but that just me..

Luis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks