What's new

If a Tree falls on your car, do you hear it? ..No (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Big storm here last night, watching out the back concerned for the large damaged tree right out my back door. Watched a side tree fall on the neighbors roof. Did not even worry about the front, no large decrepit trees out there.

But NO the extremely healthy 25ft redbud was ripped to the ground during straight line wind and just had to fall across the top of my Mini Cooper S!!! All the neighbors are having great fun. The Mighty Mini holding up a tree!

Major family wedding this weekend...Vacation and assorted other issues. Drat it's going to be a hard month!

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
How incredibly horrible. But the most important thing is that you weren't in it when it happened. Heh, nonehteless, it sucks that the mini is damaged (to what extent)?

On a side note, the hail I got in my area yesterday was pretty wicked. Hailstones larger than BB's (which is pretty big in my opinion).

Todd_B

Second Unit

:D

On a serious note, I'm glad no one was hurt and just remember...that's what you have insurance for!

Todd B

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
From a fellow MINI owner ... that really sucks. Sorry to hear about the damage. Just glad you were not in it!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Todd_B : I assure you I am going to use that pic for the rest of my time on this forum and do not plan to ever pay you royalties :D Good work!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Mark, in Texas we call BB size hail sleet How True!
Hey Todd, funny man! Have never set up my web on my DSL to have a spot to host. Camera was almost discharged and we could only get a couple pics out of it with no power to recharge it. The couple of shots we did get the night it happened (before camera petered out) and the tree was removed before we could recharge it after the power finally was back on, did not turn out well in the dark with flash. Looked like a giant leafy "IT" or "Thing" mini. Just the side of the car peeking out from all the brush.

Surprisinly, when we got the car out from under; total damage was only smashed drivers side windshield wiper blade into the hood (without shattering the windshield) A crease in the hood which looks like a giant size man had laid his elbow into it. Bottom valance cracked on the front. With all the tree dirt and storms again last night can't tell how many scratches etc. Very little damage to it for having worn a tree wig the whole night. The canopy of the tree just surrounded the little car and bowed over the top of the car like a whale rib car-port, -without actual main trunk, - smashing it. Just the one heavy section of trunk, resting on the hood. Although a little disgust here that the car is about 12 months old and this is its third 'incident'.

I always have my priorities straight. Am very happy no one in family was hurt directly/indirectly due to storm. The thing that breaks my heart is not the Mini. Houses/cars/etc can always be repaired. ITS THE TREES. The larger tree 15ft back along the same property line in my neighbors yard was destroyed. 1/2 on his roof with the standing remaining crown split through the top. It was taken out yesterday to a foot above the ground. That entire side of my property line faces West Setting sun. Needless to say its much brighter (and ugly) with the trees gone. Driving through our neighborhood is slightly like a war zone. A broken branch the size of a Honda, just fell into the alley from my neighbors yard this morning. (no storm now, it will not be safe under the old trees in this neighborhood for a few days yet) Cleaning up still remains to be done for yet a while. A pass-through street near us this morning was still blocked with large tree from night-before-last obstructing the road...etc. My neighbors' 5 homes down and for several blocks across near me, are still without electricity today.

The Master gardeners who live across the street had exclaimed to me several times that my 3 trunked, now mini-car cover Redbud was the most gorgous they had ever seen! (and it was, makes me want to cry!).

I don't mind all the other damage these storms do. I just can't stand losing trees!!!!

The Dallas Arboretum (in the same area I live and which was hit so hard) is where the family wedding is taking place this Saturday. Booked well over a year 1/2 ago. Storms predicted through Friday night. The issues I'm concerned over - will be ground saturation levels and if the grounds there are looking very trashed. (I have a membership to go check it out, but they are currently closed for storm repair-cleanup) Arboretum was shown chainsawing trees yesterday on the evening news as they had lost several 200 year old specimens) This event is planned for the largest outdoor garden since the wedding party is too numerous for either of two estate residences on the grounds. The women will prob need to give up all thought of spiked heels. I can see us all tottering around in our formal grabbing the nearest males elbow whilst tryig to pop a spiked heel up and out of the mud! :)

Oh well, weddings are boring without some catastrophy or excitment to enliven!

Gotta fly...thanks for the sympathy from all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks