As your mortality begins to stir you...how do you want to die?

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
Not trying to be morbid. I'm just of an age (66) when the certainty of dying begins to move from the back burner up to the front of the stove.

None of us knows how we will go. Could be heart-attack, stroke, or accident-quick. Could be a slow slide courtesy of cancer (which took all my family) or Alzheimer's. But if I could somehow determine the circumstances of my death, how would I choose to go?

There is a wonderful sequence in an otherwise mediocre sci-fi movie called SOYLENT GREEN, which I think most of us have seen, in which co-star Edward G. Robinson in a prophetically final role as an aging friend of the film's protagonist (Charlton Heston), chooses his own death. When he knows he is nearing the end, he goes out in style. He enters a (futuristic) parlor where he can rest comfortably in a bed facing an immersive movie screen surrounded by a state-of-the-art sound system. Presumably he is fed an intravenous mixture that painlessly permits him to fall asleep...forever. While doing so, his eyes are flooded with images of a beautiful Earth before decadence and overpopulation took over, and his ears are soothed by what is probably his choice of the most beautiful classical music. He just slowly drifts away, and his face is one of peace and total acceptance.

That seems an idyllic way to go.

My paraphrase of that would be: I am outside in a wooded area on a beautiful, 70-degree, humidity-free afternoon with a strong breeze blowing, and looking up from a hammock at a thick canopy of maple tree branches. The infinite gradations of green from leaf to leaf in both shadow and sunlit are comfortable and comforting. What I hear is a cacophony of bird song and peepers, or crickets and fluttering leaves, and wind chimes. There is a faint wisp on Debussy mixed-in, including his gorgeous orchestral tone poems. How easily I could give myself up in this way, especially if it could be a painless passage.

I know, dream on. But if Edward G. Robinson can do it, why can't I?

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidJ and atfree

atfree

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Woo....in the deep stuff here Dick. I'm 53 and try, not successfully, to not think about it too much. But.....

My first wife died suddenly (aneurysm) 9 years ago...she was 40, I was 44. 2 kids (aged 8 and 15), so it sent me for a loop. Remarried 7 years ago. I now think (too much) about wasted time, how work and life in general get in the way of living. So I try to make the most of everyday and yearn for retirement in 10 years (I have it financially planned that way), so I can do all the things I didn't do when I was younger. So, my hope is for another 25 good/decent years and then a quick, relatively painless end.

B-ROLL

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not trying to be morbid. I'm just of an age (66) when the certainty of dying begins to move from the back burner up to the front of the stove.

None of us knows how we will go. Could be heart-attack, stroke, or accident-quick. Could be a slow slide courtesy of cancer (which took all my family) or Alzheimer's. But if I could somehow determine the circumstances of my death, how would I choose to go?

There is a wonderful sequence in an otherwise mediocre sci-fi movie called SOYLENT GREEN, which I think most of us have seen, in which co-star Edward G. Robinson in a prophetically final role as an aging friend of the film's protagonist (Charlton Heston), chooses his own death. When he knows he is nearing the end, he goes out in style. He enters a (futuristic) parlor where he can rest comfortably in a bed facing an immersive movie screen surrounded by a state-of-the-art sound system. Presumably he is fed an intravenous mixture that painlessly permits him to fall asleep...forever. While doing so, his eyes are flooded with images of a beautiful Earth before decadence and overpopulation took over, and his ears are soothed by what is probably his choice of the most beautiful classical music. He just slowly drifts away, and his face is one of peace and total acceptance.

That seems an idyllic way to go.

My paraphrase of that would be: I am outside in a wooded area on a beautiful, 70-degree, humidity-free afternoon with a strong breeze blowing, and looking up from a hammock at a thick canopy of maple tree branches. The infinite gradations of green from leaf to leaf in both shadow and sunlit are comfortable and comforting. What I hear is a cacophony of bird song and peepers, or crickets and fluttering leaves. There is a faint wisp on Debussy mixed-in, including his gorgeous orchestral tone poems. How easily I could give myself up in this way, especially if it could be a painless passage.

I know, dream on. But if Edward G. Robinson can do it, why can't I?
So I'm thinking the Soylent Green thing might not be a bad way to go (perhaps with a different end) ... though I'ld want to see LoA for one last time. Oh and I'ld change the music to the Faure Requiem In Paradisum ...

Oh and not to give any spoilers away ... I would want to know that dogs would have a good tasting cracker ...

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
Ultimately, you are in control at all times. You can choose exactly how to go from more than enough options. Just gotta watch out for that blindside. I always wanted to go in a blaze of glory.

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Simply falling asleep and never waking up would be okay. A 'Thelma and Louise' in my convertible might be thrilling, but I am too big of a scaredy-cat to attempt such an end.

Louis C.K. does a comedy routine where he jokes about man's achievement as the apex predator on the planet ensures that we are the only species that can die in a soft, comfortable bed surrounded by loved ones, whereas nearly every other species dies a horrible death in the jaws of a predator.

- Walter.

B-ROLL

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Simply

Louis C.K. does a comedy routine where he jokes about man's achievement as the apex predator on the planet ensures that we are the only species that can die in a soft, comfortable bed surrounded by loved ones, whereas nearly every other species dies a horrible death in the jaws of a predator.

- Walter.
...unless you are the pet of a human ...
:thumbs-up-smiley:

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My wife and I say that when I am 101 and she is 100, we will go to bed together in each other's arms and go in our sleep together. I realize the odds of this are a billion to one. I have no control over it, so when I do imagine the end, why not imagine it this way?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ultimately, you are in control at all times. You can choose exactly how to go from more than enough options. Just gotta watch out for that blindside. I always wanted to go in a blaze of glory.
I disagree with you strongly. "You are in control at all times" is an illusion, IMHO. An overwhelming majority of the states in the gold ol' US of A do not allow you to choose when you will die. You can feel fine today and tomorrow....?

I hope that I will not have a long lingering illness, but a quick end. That's a hope because the only way I an guarantee it is to take matters into my own hands and I would prefer to live until the day before life sucks. Anybody figure how to know that day?

We are not in control.

Reactions: Scott McGillivray

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I realized some time ago that I most likely have fewer days ahead of me than behind me now. Fear of growing old and dying freaks my wife out but it doesn't bother me so I never think about it.

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
I disagree with you strongly. "You are in control at all times" is an illusion, IMHO. An overwhelming majority of the states in the gold ol' US of A do not allow you to choose when you will die. You can feel fine today and tomorrow....?

I hope that I will not have a long lingering illness, but a quick end. That's a hope because the only way I an guarantee it is to take matters into my own hands and I would prefer to live until the day before life sucks. Anybody figure how to know that day?

We are not in control.
I am.
I don't want to get into exactly what I mean on the forum since it would require a lengthy discussion, and it will most likely lead to more disagreement. One of those politics and religion type discussions that hardly ever end well.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
For a long time I thought that I wanted to be cremated. but now that I have been with my SO for 15 years, the idea of being side-by-side for eternity is comforting. But when The Sun goes nova, we will all be cremated anyway, right?

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I want to be both reaaaaaally old and in good enough shape that my organs can be used to save a bunch of other people.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Quick, painless death is what I would wish for (and hopefully some of my organs could benefit other folks). Certainly do not want to be "lingering" in hospitals/homes/my home where I don't have my "freedom" and/or becoming an undue burden on my "loved" ones if there are any "left"

Regards,

Reactions: Robin9

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Simply falling asleep and never waking up would be okay. A 'Thelma and Louise' in my convertible might be thrilling, but I am too big of a scaredy-cat to attempt such an end.

- Walter.
That's my hope, just quietly fade away without really being involved. My last dog died peacefully. Just fell asleep and never woke up, that's the way I'd like to go.

Fire or drowning would be terrifying. A plane crash, as long as there was no knowing what's coming up, like crashing into a mountain at 600 mph would be acceptable. Don't want to be injured or have a long term illness, just lingering around for months until the inevitable happens.

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Rick
I realized some time ago that I most likely have fewer days ahead of me than behind me now.
That's a paraphrase of what Alec Guinness said to Sessue Hayakawa as the two enemies stand on the completed bridge reminiscing, toward the end of BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. Mortality awareness tends to alter perspectives and priorities. It has for me, at any rate.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Nice timing! I just told my kids yesterday how I wanted to go out, and it is definitely appropriate for the HTF, of all things. We were watching Jurassic World, and after Bryce Dallas Howard's assistant died, I said "You see that? That's how I want to go: snatched by a pterodactyl, dropped 30 feet, caught by another pterodactyl, plunged into the water, lanced and chewed on by more pterodactyls, and then finally swallowed by a giant mosasaurus." :D

Remember, if you gotta go, go with a smile!

Stan

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Nice timing! I just told my kids yesterday how I wanted to go out, and it is definitely appropriate for the HTF, of all things. We were watching Jurassic World, and after Bryce Dallas Howard's assistant died, I said "You see that? That's how I want to go: snatched by a pterodactyl, dropped 30 feet, caught by another pterodactyl, plunged into the water, lanced and chewed on by more pterodactyls, and then finally swallowed by a giant mosasaurus." :D

Remember, if you gotta go, go with a smile!
Oh, that would be gruesome. But it would be quick, so maybe not so bad. No need for family to worry about burial or cremation, you'd be dinosaur poo :cool:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ree