What's new

IE/Windows Explorer problems (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I've been having two problems on my PC: one with IE5.5 and the other one with Windows Explorer. I don't know if they might be related.

IE-sometimes it just shuts down and takes along with it half of the icons in my toolbar. I start it back up again and it works fine.

Windows Explorer-doesn't seem to want me to right-click on C:. When I try to right-click, Windows Explorer just freezes. I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut it down. No problem right-clicking on the folders inside the drive though.

Any ideas on what's wrong or is my computer just possessed?

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
IE 5.5 = windows explorer, to some extent at least.

Perhaps you should try to do a reinstall of 5.5 SP2 over your current one, or maybe try IE 6.0 (but there's no going back if you do barring a reinstall of the entire OS).

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Tried reinstalling IE5.5SP2 to no avail. The same problem persists. I'm kinda hesitant installing IE6.......unless this will solve the problem for sure.

Any other suggestions?

Jason Handy

Second Unit
IE 5.5 = windows explorer
Not sure I understand this statement. IE 5.5 is a web browser while Windows Explorer is a file management utility (right-click the start menu, EXPLORE)

Am I missing something?

Ari - I think your IE 5.5 issue is not that uncommon. The web browser is pretty unstable compared to other, non-internet programs from Microsoft.

Your windows explorer problem. What OS are you using? Is your hard drive partitioned? How big is the drive, and how full is it? A little more information might help with troubleshooting your problem.

Cheers

Jason

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The actual Windows Explorer is part of IE (or maybe it's vice versa. Ever notice you can do file management in IE and you can browse the web in Windows Explorer? That's why.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Oh...OK, I never really considered that. I am a "classic" user that likes to keep the Web-look out of my file folders.
Thanks for the clarification :emoji_thumbsup:
Jason

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

I'm using Win98SE. My hard drive is a 30GB Seagate, unpartitioned and there's around 9GB of free space in it.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I had to remove IE5.5 from my pc because of too many crashes.

I went back to 5.1 or 5.0.

I am now using 6.0 and enjoy it much better than 5.5.

If you don't like 6.0 you could always remove it.

Maybe my pc was just more sensitive to 5.5

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Ari,

I wish something jumped out at me about your problem. I agree with Glenise regarding the Internet Explorer upgrade - I have found it to be much more stable than its predecessor. Good luck with everything.

Jason

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know where I can download the 128-bit encryption version of Internet Explorer 6? The version on the Microsoft IE site loads the 56-bit version.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just as a followup to my own question: when I upgraded to the Win2K Service Pack 2, it upgraded me to the 128-bit version of IE 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks