What's new

Ideas for sub finish? (1 Viewer)

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I'm refinishing a sub that had an oak veneer. Just wasn't durable enough for my OCD. I need something that will look the same in 20 years :) DIY veneer didn't live up.

Right now I'm thinking contact cement + router trimmed counter top laminate. Any other options?

A

Anthony_Gomez

Did the oak veneer just rub through, or did it start delaminating?

Was it NBL or paper backed?

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
It looked ok, but the final finish which was clear Minwax polyurethane looked like it was soon to fail. Plus it wasn't anywhere durable enough, a good finger nail would of left an impression.

Home Depot had some nice flat black formica laminate, $11 for 2' x 4'. Worth investing in fancy contact cement to get longetivity?

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
At least make sure you don't use water based cement as I hear it doesn't hold nearly as well.

George

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
An option for long lasting cabinets, I'd purchase factory laminated MDF as full or half sheets. Then use edge tape where necessary or use miter cuts.

I think the factory laminated MDF is evenly glued and vaccuum pressed and then sent through drum sanders. The result is a very strong laminate that is hard to remove. Another benefit is that the MDF is almost always laminated on both sides to help prevent warping. You can buy sheets that have an expensive "A" grade side and then a "C" grade laminate on the other.

I use a hot iron and a teflon block to rub on the edge tape and then use a chisel and razor to trim it. If anything falls off the cabinet over time, it's the edge tape. I think you can purchase hot melt edge tape at home depot I'm not sure. I don't think home depot sells laminated mdf though.

For assembly you may have to use screws and hardwood plugs, or just clamps and yellow glue. If you make an indentation on the surface (like a fingernail), sometimes you can use a wet cloth and iron to make the wood expand. Either that, sand it out with an orbital at 150 grit.

But I'd say laminated MDF is the ticket if you're tired of veneer bubbles, inconsistancy or peeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks