What's new

Ichiro Wins MVP!!! (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Yes he did but I'm sure he'd trade the MVP and rookie of the year for a World Series ring. Maybe next year if the Mariners can sign a better left fielder, third baseman and a replacement second baseman.

Patrick

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad Ichiro won (yeah, I'd like the M's to have at least gone to the WS, I has a ticket for Game 4). Though I thought Giambi would win it (and wouldn't have complained if he did) I'm glad that Seattle is getting some respect (now lets get some rings!!!).
I think the M's will resign Boone and McLemore. I think it will be interesting if the M's go after Aaron Boone for 3rd, but I think we are better off keeping David Bell unless there is some rookie out there we haven't heard of.
I think the M's will not even attempt to keep Sele, or any of our other free-agents. They'll give Sasaki, Garcia, and Moyer extensions (so far only Kaz is asking for one).
ESPN is saying that the M's could go after Barry Bonds because they/we have the money, and he could take over for Edgar when he retires at the end of the season. If Edgar retired last year I'd say go after Jason Giambi and stick in the DH now. But I'm sure the Yankees will get Giambi and the Mets will get Bonds.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, go Ichiro!

So this year he's got:

- Most Valuable Player

- Rookie of the Year

- Gold Glove

- Batting title

- Stolen base title

Too bad they couldn't make it to the World Series..oh well, there's next year..

MikeM

Screenwriter
First off, congrats to Ichiro! Great player, and he's the most exciting spark baseball's had in years.

That said, if I had a vote for MVP, it would not have gone to him, it would have gone to Giambi. Living in Oakland may have jaded my view, but without Giambi, the A's are dead. Without Ichiro, the Mariners would probably keep on rolling into the playoffs, just not as strong.

Again, no disrepect to Ichiro, he's an amazing player, just in my eyes he's not the single most difference in making his team make the playoffs. That role belongs to Giambi.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Larry,

I think re-signing Boone would be the worst thing they ever did. I hear the numbers are $14Mil per for 3 years. That is not a deal. I'm not saying the past year was a fluke but they way exceeded his seasonal average and even his career bests. The chances he'll come close to those numbers next year and deserve $14mil per are slim.

They'd be better off spending the money on Johnny Damon for left field and a 3rd baseman although power hitting 3rd baseman seemed to be going the way of the dodo.

McLemore I agree with. He could take over full time at second again. An upgrade offensively behind the plate would be nice as well but just like 3rd baseman, good catchers are hard to find. I believe Charles Johnson is a free agent but would cost a lot. But, then again if the Mariners keep selling out like they did last year the money should be there.

Sele is a great pitcher during the season but man does he stink in the playoffs. You have Halama and that new kid that was called up 2/3rds into the year so your rotation looks good.

Patrick

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I'm very happy he won. An exciting player and positive representative for baseball. Boy, do they need that!

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Definitely deserving of the MVP, but that "Rookie of the Year" award is ridiculous. What'd he have, eight batting titles in Japan's major leagues before coming over? TF

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
PatrickM, I think what Boone brings to the clubhouse enhances his value, but I think he is asking too much (5 years $50M). I think the M's will offer him 4 years for around $30M. Anymore than that, then Texas can have him too.

If David Bell could get his batting average up a little, he'd get more respect. Since San Diego just gave Nevin $30+M for 3 or 4 years, there are no better 3rd basemen on the market as far as I know. I guess the M's will have to trade some pitching.

Halama had some really bad games when he started. He has the same problem as Sele. When he gets rattled early he winds up giving up 4 or 5 runs in a third of an inning. But the M's are short on left handed pitching (they have Moyer and Rhodes). Halama could go in a trade. I doubt we'd trade Pinero and hope we'd keep Franklin. Stark and Ramsey didn't play enough to make an impression on me. Tomko could go. I still haven't seen Ryan Anderson pitch. People say he's the next Randy Johnson (Man, I miss Randy!)

The problem with Damon is that he only seems comfortable playing centerfield. When he played a different position for the A's (left or right field) it even effected his batting. The M's didn't move Cameron from center for Ichiro, so I doubt they'd do it for Damon. They are more likely to go after a natural leftfielder. Since I doubt they'd come up with $20M a year for Bonds, maybe the M's will go after Juan Gonzalez for a 1 year deal like Cleveland did.

Whatever the M's do, they need to build a team designed to win the west and beat the Indians and Yankees in the postseason.

No offense MikeM, but if the A's lose Giambi, Damon, and Isringhause, I don't see you guys going to the postseason (but everyone picked the M's to be fourth in the ALWest last year).

Hopefully Texas wont improve their pitching much, but if they were smart, they might go out and try to get Nomo, Park, and Pedro (if he is serious about leaving Boston).

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Larry,

I just heard that Boone rejected the M's first offer of 3 years for $23Mil. Not outrageous numbers but I believe your right about Boone wanting a 4 to 5 year deal around $10Mil per. Not outrageous numbers but on the high side for dollars and for length of contract.

Franklin and Pinero looked good this year but if both stick around in the starting rotation you have a really young rotation. Not that its a bad thing if they turn out like Muldar, Zito and Hudson. I'd trade a couple of your pitchers to see what you could get for a left fielder (lots of good ones available I'm sure) or maybe even a 3rd baseman.

Ryan Anderson is supposed to have a lot of promise but the guys been in the system for a few years now and he's not even getting a sniff of the bigs. Maybe big guys like him take a long time to develop control like the Big Unit.

Anyway, should be another good year for the Mariners next year. Hopefully I'll still be able to get tickets this upcoming season but I wonder how good they'll be since the M's are really hot ticket again.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks