What's new

IBM 120GB Deskstar VS. Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB (1 Viewer)

AllenD

Second Unit
Don't know much about the IBM. Both drives sell for $159 right now, but the IBM has 40 gigs more! Great for recording HDTV. That's at least 4+ hrs. extra of HD stored in the HTPC. The SB is known for being quiet. But my Tosh SDM1402B DVD ROM is so noisy that using the SB would be moot when considering keeping the dB down. So what do you think which would be best for my HTPC? How do you like the IBM?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: Can WinMe handle one 30GB HD and one 120GB HD simultaneously in the same PC?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people have been put off IBM after the 75GXP range turned out to be unrealiable in the extreme. I'm sure the new drives are excellent, but I doubt if I'd go to IBM again (even though I had no probs myself).

Can WinMe handle one 30GB HD and one 120GB HD simultaneously in the same PC?
It should be OK, but Me uses the FAT32 file system which becomes very inefficient when using large partitions. Give consideration to upgrading to a real Windows operating system like 2000 Pro or XP.

AllenD

Second Unit
Thanks for the link, Max. I love getting new, USEFUL bookmarks! The line from the IBM rep stating "...it definitely should NOT be used in a 24/7 role for those customers concerned with reliability" worries me a bit. While the drive won't be active 24/7, as in a server role, I'd like to keep the PC on 24/7. I wonder if the IBM would be suited for my use? I'll keep looking for more reviews...
Rob,
I've been thinking about upgrading the HTPC's OS. Just can't get myself to unplug everything and take the unit out of the rack.
My on-line PC, the one I'm on now, has been upgraded w/W2kPro going on two weeks now. It too was using ME, until it got hit with the Klez virus. :angry: I'm not too familiar w/2k but I know ME is useless when it comes to energy saving features. I had to reboot anytime the hard disk turned off or when the system went in standby. I eventually had to disable all energy saving features in ME. Is W2K better in that department? (DUH! After this post, I'll try the energy saving features myself and see how the PC behaves.) If all goes well, the IBM will be the way to go.
Thanks!

AllenD

Second Unit
HEY! Hibernate works in WIN2K! And the MyHD card has settings to wake up the PC to record. YES! I wonder if costco will take back my upgrade copy of ME?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Isn't IBM going to stop making HD's? They are going to continue R&D and developing higher capacity and faster drives, but they aren't going to be making their own HD's with their technology. I think they are just going to license it out.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
they sold the unit off to someone, forgot who. Again Seagate is great, very good performance and cheaply priced if you shop around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks