Seagate Barracuda IV HDs are awesome!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Oct 31, 1997
    Just wanted to post my opinion. I built my fourth PC the other day (for my dad) and installed a 40GB Seagate Barracuda IV (ATA100/7200RPM) hard drive. Now having used an IBM 75GXP, Maxtor & Quantum, all 40-45GB, all 7200 RPM ATA 100 drives, I can say that I think the Seagate beats them all!

Not only does it perform the best (SiSoft Sandra and "real life" tests--I've installed Windows so many times I'm going to puke), but it's near silent! I can't hear it when it's running, I have to look at the HD LED light!

Normally I don't post about components, but this one made such an impression on me that I thought I'd share it with the PC community. Seagates rock!
  2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Aug 17, 1998
    They rock - period. I've got three of them, 20, 60 and 80gb.
  3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Mar 22, 1999
    I have an older Barracuda ST34572W SCSI drive and it's nice, it's old for today's standards but reliable and it is fairly quiet.

I'd love to buy a new SCSI Barracude one if the price is right but those cheap IDE drives are real tempting, like that IBM one that was mentioned in my hard drive thread a week or two ago...

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Dec 31, 2001
    I originally started my current HTPC system with two IBM 60GXP 40GB drives. Well they're fairly loud when idle (for my tastes) and have proven unreliable for me. So I now have 3 80GB Barracuda IV drives. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the IBMs...I think I will put one in a USB 2.0 enclosure and use it for backup.
    the barracudas are quiet.
    my girlfriend found them for $147 each on the net without a rebate. nice gifts for me. anyways there was a deal at Fry's for around $120 after rebate. If you search for Star Components, or something you should find the site. I am not supposed to know how much she paid or where she got them from.[​IMG]