What's new

Seagate Barracuda IV HDs are awesome! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to post my opinion. I built my fourth PC the other day (for my dad) and installed a 40GB Seagate Barracuda IV (ATA100/7200RPM) hard drive. Now having used an IBM 75GXP, Maxtor & Quantum, all 40-45GB, all 7200 RPM ATA 100 drives, I can say that I think the Seagate beats them all!

Not only does it perform the best (SiSoft Sandra and "real life" tests--I've installed Windows so many times I'm going to puke), but it's near silent! I can't hear it when it's running, I have to look at the HD LED light!

Normally I don't post about components, but this one made such an impression on me that I thought I'd share it with the PC community. Seagates rock!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have an older Barracuda ST34572W SCSI drive and it's nice, it's old for today's standards but reliable and it is fairly quiet.

I'd love to buy a new SCSI Barracude one if the price is right but those cheap IDE drives are real tempting, like that IBM one that was mentioned in my hard drive thread a week or two ago...

Jay

Hugh M

Second Unit
I originally started my current HTPC system with two IBM 60GXP 40GB drives. Well they're fairly loud when idle (for my tastes) and have proven unreliable for me. So I now have 3 80GB Barracuda IV drives. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the IBMs...I think I will put one in a USB 2.0 enclosure and use it for backup.
the barracudas are quiet.
my girlfriend found them for $147 each on the net without a rebate. nice gifts for me. anyways there was a deal at Fry's for around $120 after rebate. If you search for Star Components, or something you should find the site. I am not supposed to know how much she paid or where she got them from.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks