What's new

I would like to see THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW on DVD (1 Viewer)

THE RealROXANNE

Auditioning
Real Name
R. C. Austin
I use to watch this show on ?? back in the late 80s. I was like twelve years old but I still enjoyed it. I used to watch Car 54, Whare Are You? back then too. With Car 54 being out on DVD, The Ann Sothern Show might not be so long from being put out on DVD also. The rights of The Ann Sothern Show were owned by CBS. Paramount owns CBS. Paramount also owns the rights to Car 54. Maybe Shanachie Home Video will also put out The Ann Sothern Show on DVD. Let's Hope Anyway.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Car 54 is owned by the estate of Nat Hiken. That's where is was licensed from. The Ann Sothern Show was owned by Metromedia which morphed into Fox. So Fox would have to put it out. Don't hold your breath.

THE RealROXANNE

Auditioning
Real Name
R. C. Austin
Where I got that Car54, Where are you? was owned by Paramount was the shows voting results page on TvShowsonDVD.com it says that the DVD rights owned/licensed by: Paramount Home Video, Shanachie Home Video. It was probably updated since the show is coming out on DVD soon. Where I got that The Ann Sothern Show was owned by CBS was on the show's Wikipedia page under the heading of Syndication and DVD releases. I think the Studios(the production company), Producers and Distributors of TV shows all have rights to the show, if something happened to one then the others would probably have the rights to put out the DVDs. I'm not going to hold my breathe but I'm optimistic about it. MONEY makes things happen. Sometimes it just takes longer. And then sometimes one event could set off a chain reaction.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by THE RealROXANNE

Where I got that Car54, Where are you? was owned by Paramount was the shows voting results page on TvShowsonDVD.com it says that the DVD rights owned/licensed by: Paramount Home Video, Shanachie Home Video. It was probably updated since the show is coming out on DVD soon. Where I got that The Ann Sothern Show was owned by CBS was on the show's Wikipedia page under the heading of Syndication and DVD releases. I think the Studios(the production company), Producers and Distributors of TV shows all have rights to the show, if something happened to one then the others would probably have the rights to put out the DVDs. I'm not going to hold my breathe but I'm optimistic about it. MONEY makes things happen. Sometimes it just takes longer. And then sometimes one event could set off a chain reaction.

Rights changes hands or revert back to producers all the time.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The only connection The Ann Sothern Show has to CBS is that it aired on that network 50+ years ago. She owned it through her ANSO productions and then sold it to Metromedia. When Fox gobbled up Metromedia, it became their property. Nowadays, TV Movies and the like that were produced by Metromedia you see being treated as if they were PD, which they are not. However, Fox has shown that they either don't know or don't care about those properties.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The rights for THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW could be more complex. I think that Metromedia was the syndicated television rights holder and that may belong to Fox now, but Desilu Productions was also a producer for the show and some of the home rights might still lie with them which would now belong to CBS through the Viacom and Paramount deals. The information that I have read never indicated the Desilu sold their share of the series.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by ahollis

The rights for THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW could be more complex. I think that Metromedia was the syndicated television rights holder and that may belong to Fox now, but Desilu Productions was also a producer for the show and some of the home rights might still lie with them which would now belong to CBS through the Viacom and Paramount deals. The information that I have read never indicated the Desilu sold their share of the series.
Yes, I was thinking this also, that all/some of the rights still may be belonging to Desilu. I hope that this series does come on DVD. It was a funny show when I watched it on Nick. I should have taped the episodes. I had heard that there may be a chance of Private Secretary coming out, but that is from Jack Chertok productions.

THE RealROXANNE

Auditioning
Real Name
R. C. Austin
I wasn't saying that you were wrong, I was just relating where I got my information. I know what your saying, I did look on the Metromadia Wikipedia page and it did list THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW but below the list of shows it says "MPC was the international distributor for these shows. Distribution was later transferred to 20th Century Fox Television, following Murdoch's acquisition of MPC. These programs are now distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures Television". I'm not sure what the differance is between ownership and distributor. Sony has connections to Shout! Factory and Vivendi Entertainment, which also put out Viacom TV shows like Dennis the Menace, Hey Dude and My So Called Life. I hoping with all of these connections and Viacom is releasing there older shows that THE ANN SOTHERN SHOW will be one of them.

Who knows they might even start releasing the 1954 Lassie TV show in complete seasons. I think they better get on the ball rolling on that show though because it lasted 19 seasons.

I would also like to see PRIVATE SECRETARY(SUSIE) on DVD, I remember Ann Sothern as Katy and Susie and her having friends named Olive and Vi. I think they might have merged in my memory because both Ann Sothern and Ann Tyrrell played roles in both series. Both were great sitcoms and I'm probably not the only one that remembers them and would buy them if they were released on DVD. I know it's longshot but if they put out one of the shows on DVD the other might follow. It probably doesn't matter which one gets released first, whoever owns the other will probably follow suit. Well, I'm off to add PRIVATE SECRETARY to my notifications on TVSHOWSONDVD.COM. Wish me luck, I'll definitely need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks