What's new

I want to make some Very Thick Exotic cables, Can I safely do this? (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
I will be using canare 4s11, I want to double up two of them and twist them together, Each cable will be used for one single lead. I plan to flexk them and sleeve both with clear or white flex and terminate with locking plugs.

I do not care if there will be no sonic benefits, I just to know if its safe to make cables like this, I notice that companies like Chord and Kimber do this style a lot.

it will make for very low resistance per lead. I want some really darn cool looking cabling, and want to know from you techies if its safe to make them this way? I dont see why not since ive seen other boutique sellers use single runs per lead all the time, except i will be twisting mine together.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Are you planning on using them for arc welding, or just listening to music?

If it's just for looks put a skinny wire inside a piece of Tech-flex covered 3/4" garden hose. That will give you the "I've got a dead python" look so popular with the $15,000/pr speaker wire crowd... :wink:

The only real danger is that the posts or terminals will snap off since the wire will be heavy and stiff.

RobertMc

Agent
Can I ask what on earth you want to make cables like this for, if you don't perceive or anticipate or care about any sonic / audible improvement? I'm with ThomasW on this, cables like that are more suited to industrial purposes, not audio, surely...:frowning:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
We don't understand your "safety" related question. We do understand you want the "look" of thick cables and you seem to understand there's no sonic benefit to the thickness, but safety should not be a concern.

David K.

Second Unit
I remember somewhere someone posted that that its bad to have both leads in totally seperate cables, but i never read why.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

Are you saying that there is no danger to your amp regardless of how you build your speaker wires?

I was always told that there are some exotic wire that presents such a peculiar load to the amp as to cause problems. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks