What's new

I want to get my set ISF calibrated but I don't have a STB yet. Is that a problem? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
This question is geared mostly toward Michael and Gregg but I would like everyones opinion and experiences as well.

I have a Sony 32HV600 and I want to get it ISF calibrated but I don't have a STB and probably won't have one for a while (1 year or so) unless I come across a lot of unexpected money. I just want to know if it would be a problem? Does the calibrator need to have the exact STB I will be using to calibrate that input like the DVD player?

Also, once the grey scale is set, that is set for all inputs, so what exactly needs to be done for each individual input after that besides convergence, overscan, geometry, and user settings? Can this be done with an HD generator? When I add the STB later, would I need to readjust?

What would my options be? I don't really want to wait over a year to get the calibration done but will if I need to.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Get it done based on your DVD player output and the rest of the TV signal types will be reasonably close.

Chances are ... deviations are slight and usually beyond the ability of the person to perceive anyway.

Ex.

480P gets done ... 6500K

now 480i reads 6300K
now 1080i reads 6700K ... close enough.

Regards

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Michael,
Thanks for the reply. I understand that the gray scale will be close for the HD input but what about the other adjustments on the HD input? Will the calibrator be able to adjust it to proper levels without a set top box?

So you're saying it would be OK to get the calibration done without a STB? I just don't want to have it done then after I get the STB find out that it doesn't look quite right and have to have him return or get another calibrator come out.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It won't matter because the STB cannot generate test patterns in HD anyway.

If he uses an HD signal generator, more than likely, the STB won't match that generator's output anyway. And this won't be his fault or your fault.

In the most basic of terms ... figure out the worth of calibrating your cable signal ... and apply that answer to HDTV. Unless you watch the same test pattern where every thing is correct ... specific calibration for HD just is not crucial since the broadcast material is so inconsistent.

Get the grayscale done for your DVD. Everything else will be close. If you want to throw money away for calibrating the HD part ... be my guest. You will be paying for something you cannot see and will not benefit from it.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks