1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I want to build a pair of Bookshelves...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ArthurJ, Nov 7, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I want a nice little pair of bookshelves for MUSIC listening only. I can spend up to $200 on the driver alone. I don't care if it's a kit or if all the drivers need to be purchased seperatly. I will be purchasing the cabinet through parts xpress. I don't have the tools to build my own and they seem to have the best prices, am i wrong? Thanks for those who help.

P.S. What kind of performance can I expect out of $200 DIY?

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I'd use plywood rather than MDF, as MDF has low lateral strength. Just a few books will make MDF bookshelves sag like crazy.

[​IMG]

3. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Are you being sarcastic??? Ummmm, I think the gentleman is talking about bookshelf speakers, not bookshelves...

4. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

lol, Hank thank's for the laugh [​IMG] you may or may not have misunderstood me [​IMG] That's ok...

5. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

When you say drivers do you mean drivers and crossovers? Crossovers are the thing I normally forgot about when I started (cost-wise) and finally realized that they add up quick. I would definitely go with a popular design or a popular kit. I have basic measuring equipment and I still haven't been able to top the sounds of my Selah X2 kit or Adire 281s with my own designs. Selah has a kit called the RC2 here that is in your price range (and I've heard good things about it). Another good resource is Dennis Murphy's site. The MB20 and MB27 are probably pretty nice. The Dayton Budget Project is also supposed to be really good and is very inexpensive to build. Thats all I could think of off the top of my head, but good luck and I hope those help.
    --Ryan

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Since you're going to be using cabinets from Parts Express, I would build a pair of speakers that were designed to use a pair of Parts Express cabinets. That would be the PeeCreeks.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Mike, it was a JOKE. Always get somebody.[​IMG]
    Arthur, Dan's suggestion is a good one - the Pee Creeks should do well for you.