What's new

I want to build a pair of Bookshelves... (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
I want a nice little pair of bookshelves for MUSIC listening only. I can spend up to $200 on the driver alone. I don't care if it's a kit or if all the drivers need to be purchased seperatly. I will be purchasing the cabinet through parts xpress. I don't have the tools to build my own and they seem to have the best prices, am i wrong? Thanks for those who help.

P.S. What kind of performance can I expect out of $200 DIY?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd use plywood rather than MDF, as MDF has low lateral strength. Just a few books will make MDF bookshelves sag like crazy.

;)

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
Are you being sarcastic??? Ummmm, I think the gentleman is talking about bookshelf speakers, not bookshelves...

ArthurJ

Second Unit
lol, Hank thank's for the laugh ;) you may or may not have misunderstood me :) That's ok...

Ryan Hawke

Agent
When you say drivers do you mean drivers and crossovers? Crossovers are the thing I normally forgot about when I started (cost-wise) and finally realized that they add up quick. I would definitely go with a popular design or a popular kit. I have basic measuring equipment and I still haven't been able to top the sounds of my Selah X2 kit or Adire 281s with my own designs. Selah has a kit called the RC2 here that is in your price range (and I've heard good things about it). Another good resource is Dennis Murphy's site. The MB20 and MB27 are probably pretty nice. The Dayton Budget Project is also supposed to be really good and is very inexpensive to build. Thats all I could think of off the top of my head, but good luck and I hope those help.
--Ryan

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Since you're going to be using cabinets from Parts Express, I would build a pair of speakers that were designed to use a pair of Parts Express cabinets. That would be the PeeCreeks.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mike, it was a JOKE. Always get somebody.;)
Arthur, Dan's suggestion is a good one - the Pee Creeks should do well for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks