What's new

I upgraded my graphics card to a Geforce4 MX420 and... (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I played The Sims fine on my old PC. It was an AMD K6-3 400 Mhz, 256 ram, ATI All In Wonder 32 ram PCI video card. I don't remember it being choppy at all. I wasn't playing at high resolutions however. I don't remember any specific tweaks I used.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
See there is a major difference when playing the Sims with just the stuff out of the box, but she's playing with 2GB worth of Sim data that must be loaded, and if she has that much data, I can only imagine how many Sims she has in her neighborhood....thats a lot of data to be processed, lets say she has a House Party and has 15 Sims show up and a fire breaks out....just think of all the AI data being processed right there.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
lets say she has a House Party and has 15 Sims show up and a fire breaks out....just think of all the AI data being processed right there.
Wait a minute...how hard is it to simulate panicky hysterical people who are on fire? :laugh:
But anyhow, I hope her problems are resolved.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm sure The Sims does use a ton of CPU processing but the Geforce4 MX series are worthless as video cards so that can only compound the problem.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The GeForce4 MX is not going to be causing a performance issue at all here. The only real difference (apart from clock speed) between the GeForce4 MX and the superior GeForce 3 is that the 4 MX doesn't have the hardware vertex and pixel shader support. If The Sims uses this then I'll be utterly shocked; there are very few games that do so far.

I would strongly recommend removing (at least temporarily) the extras you have in your Sims folder and trying it out of the box to see how smoothly it runs, then adding back a few at a time to identify the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks