What's new

I try and I try, but anti-piracy BS stops me from giving Tweeter my business? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Since finding out that Faux, err, I mean Fox, is broadcasting the SuperBowl in 480p Widescreen (EDTV), I have been trying to figure out how to get the best images on my HDTV for the party I'm having. I thought, what a great way to convince my buds to join me in this crazy hobby. So, I've been messing with my HDTV Receiver STB's settings to see what looked best but soon realized that it only supports 480i or 1080i output. After watching some Fox TV, broadcast in that same format as the superbowl, I decided that I didn't like what my Sony HD100 did to the signal when it upconverted it to 1080i... so I started searching for STBs that would pass a 480p signal unaltered. I found there are two units, the Samsung t150(OTA only) and the Panasonic HDS20(Direct TV and OTA). Research has revealed that the Samsung unit has some bugs which so far, the latest updates haven't solved. So, I started hunting for a Pani unit. After three stores, I found one... at Tweeter. These guys know me since I am in there at least once per week and I want them to succeed, so I always offer them my business. Usually, though they decline on the basis of price. Still, I have bought about $2K from them in the last 12 months of closeouts, demo units and items that I needed NOW. So, imagine my suprise when the manager said, I will sell it to you for $499. After catching my breath, I gasped YES SOLD! I came into the store with a price from Crazy Eddies for $467 but didn't even have to tell him about it. I was actually HAPPY that after all these years I was buying something from a Tweeter at their price, not mine. So, with credit card in hand I approached the counter where the manager had placed the unit after retrieving it from the back room. I noticed as I got closer that he had a paper on the counter next to the box... I thought... smiling internally, he should know better than to try to sell me an extended warranty on this piece. I walked up, expecting the pitch, handed him my CC, and he said: here is the contract that Direct TV makes you sign in order to buy this unit. I said WHAT? I don't want DTV. I am buying this for OTA HD only. He said sorry, DTV requires us to have you sign this agreement to sign up for service within 90 days or else they can charge you an additional $150. I said WHAT??? You don't understand I don't want to use this for DTV, only OTA. He said, it doesn't matter, as of Nov 1st, DTV is requiring you to sign up because of what folks are doing with the unused HU cards to steal service. I said, keep the damn HU card, I only want it for OTA. He said sorry, those are the rules. I said, Sorry, no sale.
Now, wonder if Sears has a Samsung T150???:frowning:

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
John,

I don't know if you are comfortable with Ebay or not, but if you go there you can find one of the panasonic models that you are talking about sitting just under $350. The auction ends in a day or two I think. This is not my auction, just to clarify, just trying to help another forum member out. Would you be interested in trading or selling your Sony STB by any chance? Good luck!!

Brandon

J

John Morris

Hi Brandon: Thanks for the tip, but I checked Ebay first and no one had a unit closing within 24 hours. I want this unit now so I can see if it produces a 480p passthrough (using current Fox's shows;Titus is tonight)image worthy of a party. If not, I'm gonna let someone else in our group host the party. If it looks fantastic, then I am gonna have a welcome to EDTV SuperBowl party. Either way, I need to make my decision quickly so I can send out invitations before someone else in the group does...:rolleyes
BTW, my Ebay ID is govtdog and my feedback is a perfect 87 or 88(I haven't checked lately?).

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
So it's not anti piracy that is the problem, but Manufacturer-subsidies.

It's like a cell phone: the retail price on many cell phones is $200+, but if you sign up for a year of service, the cell phone company will subsidize (pay a part) of the equipment costs.

I feel your pain, but this does make sense.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I wonder why he wouldn't budge on the contract? I know for a fact that they can. I bought two directivo units before Christmas and the salesman (not a friend of mine but more than just an employee I buy stuff from) said their supposed to but he was going to let it slide. He didn't even suggest it, just said there was such a thing and kept on with the check out process.
If I were you I'd have someone else go in to buy it and say it's for a friend's birthday and they live across country. You think they'll like it but aren't sure. Then ask in a stupid tone "Can they take it back to their local Tweeter?" It might work. :)
On a side note, I think it sucks that something like the superbowl isn't going to be in HD. Oh well. One more lost chance at showing off what HD looks like.
Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Bob,

Cell phones are different because more often than not you CAN still buy the phone itself even without the year(s) long contract. This may have changed recently but I know I used to sell them that way. Though not often. In John's case they are refusing to sell him an item without a contract.

Dan Hine

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Didn't the contract say he could buy it but at a $150 markup if he didn't get DTV within 90 days? Ie, he didn't expect to get it for $499 and was surprised, and then he learned about the fact that it actually costs $499+$150 unless you sign up for DTV within 90 days?

Ie, nonsubsidized cost $649.

Maybe I misunderstand.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Kimmo,

Yeah, I guess you're probably right. I still think John can get away with it though. Here's hoping for ya John.

Dan Hine

W

Will

I started searching for STBs that would pass a 480p signal unaltered. I found there are two units, the Samsung t150(OTA only) and the Panasonic HDS20(Direct TV and OTA)

I didn't know that it's hard to find a STB that passes a 480p signal unaltered. Does the RCA STB not do this? What about the (yes I know it's more expensive) Zenith STB?

I thought maybe the main claim to fame of the Samsung STB and Panasonic STB was they are capable of passing 720p signals natively, but I'm not positive of that.

Will

JerryW

Supporting Actor
John,
Buy the unit at Tweeter, see if it works, take it back and get a refund, then buy it on ebay.
See, problem solved. :)

J

John Morris

didn't know that it's hard to find a STB that passes a 480p signal unaltered. Does the RCA STB not do this? What about the (yes I know it's more expensive) Zenith STB?
Hi Will: Actually I eliminated the RCA DTC100 because I'd need to also use a VGA to component converter. The Zenith unit, unfortunately, will output in every mode, but, requires you to walk to the unit and select the output mode via a switch on the back of the unit. So, with the Zenith I could get native 480p but then every other station, even CBS which is 1080i and ABC at 720p would be downconverted to 480p. The Pani unit has a hybrid mode which matches my HDTV perfectly. This mode outputs 480i and 480p as 480p and 720p and 1080i as 1080i.

J

John Morris

Buy the unit at Tweeter, see if it works, take it back and get a refund, then buy it on ebay.
JerryW: Don't tempt me...
I've received some replies from other folks who said that I could buy the Pani unit and mail the card back to DTV to avoid the additional $150 charge. I think I'll check w/ Tweeter to see if this is an option. Other folks have reported buying this unit from Tweeter since the 1st, and NOT having to sign anything. It may also be, as others have suggested, that the "real" Tweeter price is $649 but they get a kickback from DirectTV for signing up folks for Direct TV. I think I'm gonna go back to the store today and read the entire contract... I am in the middle of a bunch of 80 foot trees and do not have a line of sight to the satellites anyway, so DirectTV has never been an option for me. Hmmm, Jerry's idea is sounding better all the time.;)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, because of the widespread theft of DirectTV cards and service Tweeter will not accept any returns on used DirectTV equipment.

-Dave

J

John Morris

$495 delivered, no contract, brand new unopened with HU card... Crazy Eddie here I come!!! And folks wonder why B&Ms continue to go under?

J

John Morris

Well, correction on my previous post above: $464 delivered, Crutchfield's Outlet Store, unopened with virgin HU card, no contract! But, I won't get it till next Tuesday. I just couldn't bring myself to buy from Crazy Eddies...

PaulKH

Second Unit
First off, the Samsung SIR-T150 is AWESOME. It's the only box I'm aware of that can up OR downconvert to a selectable common format (480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i) No BS DirecTV deals required. As far as bugs, with the 1.63 software it works great. I use mine with an attic antenna.

Second, someone said it's too bad the Superbowl isn't in HD. While Fox is not broadcasting in 1080i, they are broadcasting *WIDESCREEN* 480p, so it will beat the crap out of cable or satelite.

Even regular 480i digital broadcasts look orders of magnitude better than cable or satelite because they're not compressed.

FREE Digital TV - It's a beautiful thing.

J

John Morris

I gotta ask.... what *is* the story with the Samsung STB with the latest updates?
Will: if you read the many posts on the Samsung on AVS, you'll come away thinking that the Samsung is not a good unit. Then again, it is like all forums in that mostly folks having problems are posting. The ones that are happy with a product are busy enjoying what they got. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks