What's new

I thought FHA interest rates were suppose to be cheaper than conventional rates. (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Could be. I understood it that FHA mortages were easier to get for first time home buyers. Which is why I've got one :)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
FHA rates are often higher than rates on conventional mortgages, but you can get in with a lower down-payment than with a conventional.

Conventional mortgages with

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For conventional loans, it's more like 20%-22% equity/downpayment that is required to be rid of PMI.

FHA loans allow you to get the loan with a downpayment of around 3% IIRC, instead of the conventional 5% downpayment for normal loans.

Also FHA loan guidelines a bit more tedious/strict than conventional loan guidelines.

FYI, you need mortgage insurance with both FHA and conventional loans, although FHA issues their own. If someone is paying $200 a month in mortgage insurance, someone is ripping you off. The most I've seen is $115, and it was a high dollar home, with a 95% loan. To make it go up into the $200 range, you'd have a scenario, I believe to where the borrower would be able to afford the down payment then to get a loan that big. There are conventional loans right now that'll be available for %500 down, and it is easier than FHA loans to qualify. The mortgage industry has changed alot since I first got in less than two years ago, and it is easy to get a loan unless your credit is really bad or you are really overextended on your debt. Also, I believe fha mortgage insurance is deductible the first year as a sort of point type cost. I might be wrong on that one though. Email me with any questions, and I can help anyone in Texas if you are looking to buy or refi.

Jim J

Second Unit
Jose,
What do you consider 'high dollar home'?

That's my PMI payment. I had another mortgage on the table, where it was even higher (all other things being equal). This was a 95%ltv situation. I'm in NJ (metro NY)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks