What's new

I think I'm gonna have to give up on Enterprise. (1 Viewer)

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i dont think i am. maybe it was ran on UPN and fox, cuase i saw the first season, and was mad when it wnt to upn, cause i couldnt watch it anymore, cause the small town i'm from, couldnt get UPN

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nope, definitely started on UPN - Mondays at 8pm, right before "Platypus Man". However, since a lot of areas didn't have UPN affiliates, oftentimes one station in a given market would take a "secondary affiliation", showing UPN programs at off-hours. This still happens, to a lesser extent, since not many areas could necessarily support six commercial stations (and that's before you get to PBS or Pax).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
from the Original series, it took TNG and DS9 years to get its stride right
i've heard many people post this argument and i guess i don't necessarily disagree, but...
when tng started it they were really breaking new ground, both in terms of story, character and production value. they were really starting a whole "new" show. i can understand that taking some time to develop...sorta like getting out all the "kinks".
the rest of the star trek series didn't have to work as hard. they have already got the "feel" of the star trek universe. i'm not saying it's super-easy to start a spin-off, (and i'm definitey not saying i could do better) but it's not as hard.
by now, these guys should have it down pat! so i'm not sure the "give it a couple of years" argument holds as much ground.
just my random thought...
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I have to agree with the above. If Enterprise makes it 2, 5, 7, however many years, I hope it's because it earned it, not because everybody "gave it" time because it's Star Trek.
That in itself may be the ultimate problem: does the weight of the ST universe itself smother any innovations to it? Berman and co. must be painfully aware of not killing the golden goose and so why would they greenlight anything really daring when they can stick to the re-tread fare they've been doing for the past 15 years?
I think a deficiency in plot can be made up for in character as a deficiency in character can be made up with plot but what about a lack of both? I find these people boring and uninteresting and the plots are nothing that I haven't seen already.
------------------
Todd.
"Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..."
- Sealab 2021

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
i dont think i am. maybe it was ran on UPN and fox, cuase i saw the first season, and was mad when it wnt to upn, cause i couldnt watch it anymore, cause the small town i'm from, couldnt get UPN
In some markets UPN was picked up as a part-time network. This would be especially true in the first year. It is possible that your Fox affiliate ran the UPN programming as well. This didn't last long.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Shane, when UPN and Voyager premiered, it was shown on the Fox affiliate here in St. Louis because no other local station was a full UPN affiliate. After a couple seasons, another Fox affiliate in some other city didn't want to show all of UPN's lineup but only Voyager. UPN said it's all or nothing, and so the company that owned that affiliate and many others, including the one in St. Louis, said 'Fine!' and stopped showing UPN shows. Over the years, a couple of independent stations tried to take over, including Channel 24 (the Jesus channel -- don't they know that Gene Roddenberry was an Atheist?) and now Channel 11. Channel 11 is showing Enterprise on Saturday afternoon instead of its UPN timeslot on Wednesday night. I don't worry about it though, because I have Dish Network and get the New York and Boston UPN feeds. By the way, I'm enjoying Enterprise so far.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't paid attention to Bryan Adams in over a decade, so I can't say for sure, but apparently this song was originally performed by Rod Stewart for the Patch Adams soundtrack. Never saw it, never heard it. Hmm. Patch Adams. Bryan Adams. Maybe that's where you got it from.
wink.gif

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The theme song is one of the worst crimes against music committed in the last 40 years. It even may go so far as to eclipse Britney's efforts. Truly it is turd. And not only that it has no place in the Star Trek universe except alongside those Shatner and Nimoy albums.
furious.gif

As for the series, pilot episode aside, the plots have been pretty mediocre. On the other hand the cast is really good and they seem to have much better characters than in previous series so I like that.
It definitely took until Series 4 of each of the last three ST franchises to really get going. Hopefully it doesn't take this long but usually it seems they are too afraid of trying for a genuine running plot arc because that's not been what Star Trek's about. They should wake up and watch Buffy and Babylon 5 and see that it's the important thing these days.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it doesn't take this long but usually it seems they are too afraid of trying for a genuine running plot arc because that's not been what Star Trek's about. They should wake up and watch Buffy and Babylon 5 and see that it's the important thing these days.
On the other hand, "The X-Files" is an incomprehensible mess, "Babylon 5" spent its entire life this far away from cancellation, and the longest-running prime-time drama is the ruthlessly self-contained "Law & Order".
I don't know as an arc is the answer - it makes a show less new-viewer-friendly, and a bad one can kill the hope of a show getting better the next week and drive audience members away (I mean, have you seen me in the "Buffy" thread lately?). What the show needs, really, is less timid producers - Berman and Braga are still basically making the same show they were 12 years ago, and seem afraid of doing something bold lest it get them fired.
My biggest question for "Enterprise" has always been "is there a reason to watch this series instead of reruns of the 'Trek' you know you like?" Thus far, I don't have a firm answer for that question.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well, all i can is after watching last night's episode, i was so "shocked" [please note intense sarcasm here] at the ending i almost fell out of my chair.
oh brother...they're gonna have to do much better than that.
besides... SPOILER BELOW!!!
Spoiler:i thought vulcan's were all about logic, blah, blah, blah. why would they be spying?
why do i want to like this show so bad? can someone tell me?
------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
John Lennon sang "Give Peace a Chance." So I suppose I must sing the words, "Give Enterprise a chance."
So many are ready to write this series off. Yet, in just five episodes the new series has held my attention closely--which I could never say for the Voyager debacle.
Remember, people, there have only been five episodes thus far. My goodness, let the cast and crew enjoy the luxury of getting their act together. The first season has only just begun.
Re the conventional wisdom: True, TNG hit its stride by Season Three--but there were a number of fine episodes in those first two seasons. DS9, too, had its high points in the first two seasons--but call me lowbrow: for me, the series kicked into high gear with the arrival of the Defiant, the Dominion arc, Worf, and that spiffed up theme music. And remember, TOS declined in quality with each season--the first season was uniformly excellent, the second variable, and the third nearly unwatchable.
Captain Archer's voyage is at its beginning. Let's watch how it all plays out with open-minded anticipation. And let's allow for the occasional misfire.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Ted - Re: The Vulcans...
Spoiler:From what we can tell the Vulcans have not yet split into the Vulcans and the Romulans yet. Rewatch the episodes and not how they talk about 'the High Command', etc. This would explain the situation.
Jason, you're probably right about ST TNG. It's not really like the others but they definitely got better after The Best Of Both Worlds which is 3/4 as I remember.
The X-Files does not have an arc. It simply has a vague attempt by Chris Carter to make the viewer who likes arc keep watching. You are right it is a mess and I wouldn't dream of placing it with the others.
Babylon 5 somehow didn't get cancelled. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't awful either. A lot of the problems seem to have to come down to the studio not really supporting it properly.
Whether you like the current Buffy arcs you surely can't deny that the underlying arcs in Seasons 2 & 3 were important to making the series above the norm. More importantly it is very viewer-friendly. E.R. is another case in point where there is a much more noticeable character development.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what is the definition of an "arc"? a never-ending-storyline?
------------------

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
what is the definition of an "arc"? a never-ending-storyline?
It just seems that way. :)
Basically, it's just about any storyline that continues across multiple episodes. There's multiple kinds - if a character grows and changes over the course of a series, that's often called a "character arc", for example. I recall the term first being used in TV in "Wiseguy", where instead of having 24 self-contained episodes in a season, the show would break the season into two or three groups of episodes, which would tell a single story. Generally, these "arcs" or macrostories do have a beginning, middle, and end.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
a-ha...
learn somethin' new every day! thanks!
icon14.gif

------------------

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Ted Lee
Spoiler:how are logic and spying mutually exclusive, wouldn't it be logical to know everything you can about a potential enemy?
TheoGB
Spoiler:The Vulcan Romulan split was thousands of years ago, about the time of Surak

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nigel -
Spoiler:it only seems weird that vulcans would "break" a treaty.
again, i'm not a hard-core trekkie, but i think i get the gist of most of the show. that seemed out of character...at least to me.
just my .02
michael -
you're right. i probably should have posted this on the other thread. i just felt that this had a negative slant and didn't want to rain on the other thread.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks