What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

I think I'm being taken advantage of by my podiatrist! (LONG) (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten this info-

As stated above, I was billed $36xx for the removal of each mass. Had I only had one mass removed, that would have been the entire bill- $36xx. I asked if that would have covered their costs. "Yes." The insurance company allowed just over $2500 for the procedure. Does that cover your costs, for everyone involved to get paid their due? "Yes, but barely."

Now, because I got four masses removed, they were able to bill that same procedure, four times. To me, that just isn't right. We were there, everyone is paid, I'm on the table, and he took an extra 10 minutes to remove and stitch up the other three holes. Had the additional three been billed at 25%, or even 50%, that would have been reasonable. The way it was billed is as if I went for four separate surgeries.

To me, in this regard, it's no different than car maintenance. If I were taking my car into the shop to have a timing belt and water pump replaced, I would not pay the full hourly labor rate for both procedures, as the water pump is directly behind the timing chain. Some dealerships will attempt to bill full for both, others won't. The difference between this and health care, is that you can shop rates for car maintenance. I was flat out told by the doctor, outpatient clinic, and my insurance company that there was no way they could have given me an estimate, in spite of the fact that he did exactly what he intended to do. That makes no sense to me.

You know, I'm very much a "look out for my fellow man" kind of guy, but this system is somewhere between public and private health care, and it's rife with abuse. I have an "acquaintance" that runs a nurse staffing business, and he bills out over $100/hour for temporary nurses (that he typically pays $50/hour billed for being a frickin' middle man. He's laughing all the way to the bank, chuckling at the news stories about skyrocketing insurance rates, and refusing to believe he has anything to do with it. We no longer speak much.

This has literally ruined my entire week. I can't begin to tell you how disheartened I am by the whole process. It will honestly give me pause before seeking any somewhat elective procedures in the future. The consumer has NO Champion, NO recourse, in these matters. I lose. C'est la vie, I guess.

Todd

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
No, it still bites. I think it would be the right time for you to contact your congressperson and find out if they are involved in it at all, and if you can help.

As for the rich taking care of the poor here, this would be saying that our system works, yet there are stories about people that have not received proper care because they don't have the money, so I can't agree with that.

Glenn

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
More like the younger workforce taking care of the retired elderly. Medicare pays just pennies on the dollar for reimbursements to doctors. The private insurance of the workforce fills in the gap.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

That one I don't agree with. I know you were pulling a random example, but eye surgery isn't a scam IMHO.

I paid $2500 for a both eyes to get PRK (basically a different LASIC), I consider the cost pretty reasonable. Have 20/20 vision ever since, and it was pretty cheap considering how expensive that machine looked and the 3 staff members it took to set up and perform the procedure. Sure, who wouldn't want a $100 LASIC option? But you get what you pay for and going to Dr. Nick from the Simpsons to save a few bucks isn't such a great idea ;)

That aside, the medical/pharmecutical system (they really are almost same thing) in America is really out of whack. If I could fix any one part of American culture, that would be it.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I can't believe they didn't offer you some other solution to begin with. I had plantar warts when I was younger, and the podiatrist I went to gave me a prescription for them. I applied it for a week or two, and they were gone.

As for the duct tape method for warts, I had a terribly nasty wart on my left index finger a few months back. I'd been using Compound-W for a while, but I guess I never used it long enough. The wart kept coming back after a week or so. My regular doctor tried burning it off, but that didn't work, either. He mentioned the duct tape to me, and suggested I use it in conjunction with the Compound-W. Two weeks later, it was gone.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

The thing is, the insurance company does the price negotiation on your behalf. That's why they disallow part of the billed amount.

I worked in medical billing when I first got out of college, so I know how it works.

Think about going to the dentist. The cleaning, dentist exam and even the individual x-rays are all listed separately on an insurance EOB. But why pay for the dentist's exam and the x-rays since they already have you in the chair? The dentist's exam takes 2 minutes and the x-rays another 5 minutes. And the only extra cost involved is the x-ray film, right?

The point is, medical billing is by line item. If a procedure is done more than once during a medical visit, then it is listed more than once. The insurance company determines how much it will pay for each individual procedure.

Now, insurance fraud, the real problem, is when insurance companies are billed for procedures that never took place (which is easy enough to do). If the doctor filed the insurance claim honestly and correctly, then there is no problem.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

This is simple supply/demand economics. There is oiously a demand for temp nurses, otherwise he would not be able to bill at that rate. Generally, temp agencies make a killing because it saves the clients the hassle of hiring full-time employees and the human resource costs involved.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Joe- suffice to say I couldn't disagree more with your logic. I'll leave it at that, as I don't wish to discuss it further right now.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris

When I lived in England a few years ago I got somethign like this and it was the best wart remover I've ever tried. It was a can of gas (I'm not sure what it was but it was similar to Butane) that came with a bunch of little foam pads. Basically you stick the pad in the hole and it dispenses the cold gas onto it for a few seconds then you hold it on your wart for 10 seconds or so. Then after a week or two it falls off. Worked like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks