What's new

I need major help!!! Save this newbie pleeease!!! (1 Viewer)

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I want to start out by saying that this is the first home theater that I have ever tried to setup so I will ask some questions and if anyone can help with any of them then that will be wonderful.

First of all I only have a few things to setup
Sony STR-DE985 Receiver
Sony DVP-NS500V DVD Player
Sony 32" Trinitron Wega Flat (About 2 years old)
Sony Playstation 2

As you can see, I am a Sony guy I guess!!

My speakers are all Pioneer and they are about 10 yrs old. Except the center channel it is brand new.
The other four speakers are 3 way speakers with my front speakers having 1 tweeter 1 mid and 1 10 sub in each and the back ones or the surround ones have 1 tweeter 1 mid and 1 12' sub in each.

Now here is the problem, I have hooked everything up and I pop in Star Wars Episode 1 and I have to turn the receiver up to 35 to actually hear anything. But what I hear is all highs, I hear no bass from any of the front speakers or the back speakers. My receiver is suppose to have a on screen setup but I don't know how to hook up the receiver to the tv to get the on screen setup to work.

One last thing and I will stop cause this is way to long, I am using optical for my digital sound but the receiver only has a coax digital hookup for the dvd player so I have been hooking up the digital sound to the SACD digital in on the back of the receiver....will this make any difference?? IF anyone can help please please please do so. I will check back in a few minutes to see if anyone has any questions.

Thanks,
A bunch
Darren

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Hi Darren, and welcome to the forum.

I don't quite catch everything you've got going on there (or not going on), but a couple quick thoughts for you:

- hook-up at S-video cable from your receiver to your TV for the on-screen menu items to show up (perhaps a composite video cable connection would work as well)

- "SACD digital in"--???? not following here (SACD output isn't sent digitally--it's sent in an analog format)

- your receiver may have a high crossover setting setup to route bass to a sub--make sure all your speakers are set to "Large" for the full signal to be delivered to them.

Regards,

Mike

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to get the on screen menu to work by putting the s-video in into the TV part of the reciever and still could not get the menu to come up. On the back of my TV, I only have one s-video hook up and it is on the video 1 part of the back of the tv. Here is a link to a picture of the back of my receiver if this helps please let me know.
P.S. The owners manual does tell you nothing about setting up the on screen menu. It just tells you the things you can do when you are using the on screen menu.
Thanks,
Darren
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...85B&display=XL

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I figured out how to access the on screen menu.

Hook the s-video cable into the TV Monitor s-video connection and I can pull up the on screen menu.

My question now is....since I only have that one s-video connection on my tv..can I still use the DVD player by hooking up another s-video cable into the s-video in connection in the DVD section on the back of the receiver?

Let me know if that made any since at all.

Thanks,
Darren

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
can I still use the DVD player by hooking up another s-video cable into the s-video in connection in the DVD section on the back of the receiver?
Yes, that is the point of having video inputs and outputs on the receiver. :)
If you have more than one S-video source, you can hook them both into the receiver (and keept the connection from the output of the receiver to the input of the TV), and the receiver will switch between them when you select one source or the other.

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE

I finally got everything hooked up and I am very pleased with the outcome. The only drawback is I have my HT setup in my basement and the ceiling is made of tiles. When I am watching an action packed movie the tiles shake pretty bad and this is followed by a storm of ceiling tile particles. But other than that I am very very pleased.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Darren

Mike Bledsoe

Stunt Coordinator
First of all If you have no bass you speakers are probably set to small and you should have a LFE line level out hooked up to your sub (do not remember if you said you have a sub or not) You can hook up your DVD player to the SACD dvd-audio inputs on the back of your reciever but you generally do not have good bass manegement in this configuration. any more qustions just ask.
p.s. you have to hook up DVD to either coaxial, optical,or
RCA plugs. You would get some sound from the outputs of the DVD player if has an internal digital converter hooked to the six chanell inputs but you would be better of using the digital outputs/inputs that you have. I am shure that others will add thier two cents

Mike Bledsoe

Stunt Coordinator
To get the on screen menu you must either hook up from your s video or composite video monitor outs. I looked at your link.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Darren,
Placing weights on top of the ceiling tiles can minimize vibration. Blue Tack (found in office supply stores) is another option (sticks the tiles to the metal tracks).

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Also please be aware that your old Pioneers do NOT have subs, but woofers that won't go nearly as low as a true sub. Good luck sorting it out...

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
Mike you are correct about having just woofers. I meant that when I was making those first initial posts. Everything is working fine. I have got the receiver hooked to the tv with s-video (can afford component video yet but I will here in the future). The s-video cable is connected from the tv to the receiver in the tv monitor out connector on the receiver. Then I have the DVD player hooked up from the player into the receiver under the dvd s-video in connector. Then I am running a digital coax cable from the dvd player into the receiver. Finally the playstation2 is hooked into the front of the receiver using s-video connection with an optical digital sound cable for the sound. If anyone has anymore suggestions, let me know,

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks