What's new

I need help with my Panasonic PV-HS2000 Showstopper (1 Viewer)

Bill Otten

Grip
Hi.

I recently purchased this unit used. It was modified and now has a hard drive that will record 120 in the low quality setting. Here's my question/situation:

The unit works perfectly, but from time to time you can hear the hard drive start to spin (or at least that's what it sounds like) It is similar to the sound you hear when you turn the unit on. It makes this noise for less then a minute, and then stops. It is quite for a while and then does it again. Haven't figured out how many time is does it but it's at least 6 times a day if not more. It doesn't effect playback or recording in anyway, and dosen't do it when the machine is on.

Is this normal? Is it something I can stop from happening? Any info would be much appreciated. Please email me at [email protected] or post here for all to read.

Thanks

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you are using a 7200rpm hard drive, that might be the culprit. 5400rpm hard drives run quieter (but are harder to find).

Does the problem occur with the old hard drive?

Bill Otten

Grip
Not sure what the old unit did, as it was modified when I recieved it. The noise isn't really the problem it's the fact that the hard drive is working or at least is making noise when the unit isn't being used. I want to know if it is normal to hear the hard drive moving when the unit is off and not recording. like i said a few times a day the unit "spins" for less than a minute and then stops. Is that normal?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, the unit is never "off" until you unplug it from the wall socket, so there's a chance that the unit is doing "something" that it needs to do.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
All Replay units, from time to time, will spin up the Hard Drive to check for any programming that needs to be recorded.
My Showstopper is unmodified, and it has done this since day one, as have all the other Replay units I've encountered.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks