What's new

I need assistance in sorting out the universe of speakers. (1 Viewer)

Ed_S

Auditioning
I have been reading A/V magazines for years.
Several years ago, 1994 I believe, I purchased Atlantic Tech. dipole surrounds and a center channel to go along with my 1st speakers ever purchased, Kenwood something or others.

I have been lurking for a couple years, looking for a way to figure out what speakers to purchase when I am ready. I read all the mags and reviews and I have found it impossible to sort through this universe of speakers. Especially since some many of the speakers are sold in different stores, etc.

I really need help on how to narrow down this search to something workable. I am even confused on whether I should get bookshelf speakers or floor standing as I have a Definitive Tech subwoofer and will be trading it for a SVS sub.

Your suggestions would be very helpful.

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no expert, but I think the typical response will go something like this:

"What's your budget, will it be used for mostly music or movies, and to get out and listen to as many speakers as you can and pick the ones that sound best to your ears."

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Not to mention:

Bookshelf or floorstanding? Dipoles? Bi-wireable? Prefer local or internet and, if internet, are internet only speakers okay? What will you be driving them with? Pair or all five or more? A myriad of options is available to you. And audition, audition, audition, and research some more! Good luck!

itai

Stunt Coordinator
well, you can start with your budget, if you have 2k to spend, you wont be getting any b&w nautilus.
go out the door, and audition some speakers. you can read for years, (you have!...), but it can take you 10 seconds to realize the speaker you read such great reviews on, sounds $^#$!
once you walk the isles, you'll find out what you like, you will know! (im in a dramatic mood!)
so, whats your budget, and what amp/reciever do you have/will get? (ht/music, its all the same)
:star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks