What's new

I may be getting an ISF calibration - need advice (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I can have the ISF calibration done for $350.00 - the procedure takes about 3 1/2 hours. Does this sound about right in terms of length? Even though I have an idea of what they do, I asked this person exactly what they do (he wasn't a tech.) but said they have an ISF checklist to follow and he did mention a few things such as overscan and greyscale. I asked him about convergence and he said that was covered too. He also said they had experience with Sonys (my TV).

I called another place and they would do it for $385.00 and charge a $100.00 an hour to do convergence. He said convergence is not covered in ISF and that ISF was essentially fixing the greyscale to optimal levels. He said he would also look at overscan, etc.

I would probably go with the first place I mentioned; if I spend $350.00 to have this done I want it done right, especially hearing of the few horror stories people have had with it...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I should note also that the place that will do it for 350.00 only has a Color Analyzer and NOT a ISF Optical Comparator.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you can get all that work done for $350 ... then it is sweet, but it sounds like no full meal deal calibration. Just the basics plus a bit of convergence.

Not focusing ... no geometry ... no lens striping ...

The analyzer is the preferred item to use compared to the comparator. There are no more ISF comparators anymore anyhow. Joel stopped making them. You can get them elsewhere now for about $900

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have called about 12 places today that are listed as ISF trained. The responses I have gotten are interesting. Whenever a receptionist answers the phone, she hasn't got a clue as to what I'm talking about and asks why I would ever want someone to come out if there is nothing "wrong" with my TV. About three of them just couldn't and didn't understand what I was talking about even after I explained it clearly to them.

Then, I had one guy tell me that my TV (Sony KP-61V80) isn't worth calibrating and that I wouldn't even know the difference. He said to just use Video Essentials.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well those calls Speak Volumes.

Maybe Gregg Loewen from the Forum here could fly out and see you, he charges a bit more that that, byt of course he does alot more too. He calibrated by set in around 7 hours.

The results were excellent

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
If anyone knows of an ISF tech. in the Detroit, MI area please let me know. I'm still looking :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave,

I'm organizing a ISF tour for Michigan in March, the name of the technician is Chuck Williams. Let me know if you're interested.

Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Could you give me a list of what he'll perform for the amount of money? Feel free to e-mail me.

Dave

KrisK

Grip
Robert, If you have anything planned for the Portland/OR area, I would like to know about it. Thanks, Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks