I may be getting an ISF calibration - need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I can have the ISF calibration done for $350.00 - the procedure takes about 3 1/2 hours. Does this sound about right in terms of length? Even though I have an idea of what they do, I asked this person exactly what they do (he wasn't a tech.) but said they have an ISF checklist to follow and he did mention a few things such as overscan and greyscale. I asked him about convergence and he said that was covered too. He also said they had experience with Sonys (my TV).

I called another place and they would do it for $385.00 and charge a $100.00 an hour to do convergence. He said convergence is not covered in ISF and that ISF was essentially fixing the greyscale to optimal levels. He said he would also look at overscan, etc.

I would probably go with the first place I mentioned; if I spend $350.00 to have this done I want it done right, especially hearing of the few horror stories people have had with it...

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I should note also that the place that will do it for 350.00 only has a Color Analyzer and NOT a ISF Optical Comparator.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If you can get all that work done for $350 ... then it is sweet, but it sounds like no full meal deal calibration. Just the basics plus a bit of convergence.

Not focusing ... no geometry ... no lens striping ...

The analyzer is the preferred item to use compared to the comparator. There are no more ISF comparators anymore anyhow. Joel stopped making them. You can get them elsewhere now for about $900

Regards

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have called about 12 places today that are listed as ISF trained. The responses I have gotten are interesting. Whenever a receptionist answers the phone, she hasn't got a clue as to what I'm talking about and asks why I would ever want someone to come out if there is nothing "wrong" with my TV. About three of them just couldn't and didn't understand what I was talking about even after I explained it clearly to them.

Then, I had one guy tell me that my TV (Sony KP-61V80) isn't worth calibrating and that I wouldn't even know the difference. He said to just use Video Essentials.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well those calls Speak Volumes.

Maybe Gregg Loewen from the Forum here could fly out and see you, he charges a bit more that that, byt of course he does alot more too. He calibrated by set in around 7 hours.

The results were excellent

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

If anyone knows of an ISF tech. in the Detroit, MI area please let me know. I'm still looking [​IMG]

7. Eliab

Eliab Agent

Dave,
    I'm going to be performing a rather extensive tour of Ohio in February. I may be close enough to Detroit to also include you, (as well as any others in and around your area).
    Please refer to the link below for more details.
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...&f=21&t=002984
    Thanks and good luck!
    Eliab [​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Dave,

I'm organizing a ISF tour for Michigan in March, the name of the technician is Chuck Williams. Let me know if you're interested.

Crawdaddy

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Robert,

Could you give me a list of what he'll perform for the amount of money? Feel free to e-mail me.

Dave

10. KrisK

KrisK Extra

Robert, If you have anything planned for the Portland/OR area, I would like to know about it. Thanks, Kris

11. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Add one for Portland, Oregon if you get over here.