I know I said I'd never go back to analog receivers, but.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin Alexander, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

...I was hasty, and I spoke prematurely. There, I said it.:b It's not that I don't still love my Panny XR50 in my main system, it's just that when I attempted pairing another Panny XR50 w/ my new satellites, the results were less than stellar. So I'll have to revert back to analog to power the new speakers. Anyway, I'm putting together a secondary system in a small bedroom measuring roughly 12ft long, 12ft wide, and 8ft high. My Yamaha satellite speakers are rated at 6 ohms w/ a low sensitivity rating of 85db. I've narrowed the receiver choices down to the Yamaha HTR-5740/5840 or the Onkyo TX-SR502. I was looking at the front sticker of the Onkyo and it's advertised as being "6 Ohm Capable". Does that mean that it will do a better job driving the 6 Ohm satellites? Or will the Yamaha receiver do just as good of a job w/ the speakers? I really like the Yamaha sound, but I can get the Onkyo cheaper ($178 shipped for a factory REFURB), plus it has a much nicer remote. Anyway, I'd appreciate your help.

2. ray tubach

ray tubach Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, new speakers? did you ever reconcile your Athena C-1 problem?

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

No, I still have the Athena AS-C1 in my basement system. The AS-C1 and I have a rocky relationship, but for now it stays. For the bedroom system, I am using THESE

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Oddly enough, I am trying to decide between the Onkyo SR502 and the Yamaha 5740 (the 5840 will add XM radio capability) to replace my Cambridge Audio integrated amp. I don't think you will have problem with neither receivers.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

If you go for the Onk, jandr.com has it for 149.88 refurbed. I got one from them and it was in perfect like new condition.

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I got one from Jand R as well. The refurb had a sticker for a "cosmetic" defect. Only had a small scratch and funny blemish. Plenty of power and I used it to drive 3, 4-way, 300 watt (4 ohm) JBL towers with no problems...