What's new

I know I said I'd never go back to analog receivers, but..... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
...I was hasty, and I spoke prematurely. There, I said it.:b It's not that I don't still love my Panny XR50 in my main system, it's just that when I attempted pairing another Panny XR50 w/ my new satellites, the results were less than stellar. So I'll have to revert back to analog to power the new speakers. Anyway, I'm putting together a secondary system in a small bedroom measuring roughly 12ft long, 12ft wide, and 8ft high. My Yamaha satellite speakers are rated at 6 ohms w/ a low sensitivity rating of 85db. I've narrowed the receiver choices down to the Yamaha HTR-5740/5840 or the Onkyo TX-SR502. I was looking at the front sticker of the Onkyo and it's advertised as being "6 Ohm Capable". Does that mean that it will do a better job driving the 6 Ohm satellites? Or will the Yamaha receiver do just as good of a job w/ the speakers? I really like the Yamaha sound, but I can get the Onkyo cheaper ($178 shipped for a factory REFURB), plus it has a much nicer remote. Anyway, I'd appreciate your help.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
No, I still have the Athena AS-C1 in my basement system. The AS-C1 and I have a rocky relationship, but for now it stays. For the bedroom system, I am using THESE

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, I am trying to decide between the Onkyo SR502 and the Yamaha 5740 (the 5840 will add XM radio capability) to replace my Cambridge Audio integrated amp. I don't think you will have problem with neither receivers.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
If you go for the Onk, jandr.com has it for 149.88 refurbed. I got one from them and it was in perfect like new condition.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I got one from Jand R as well. The refurb had a sticker for a "cosmetic" defect. Only had a small scratch and funny blemish. Plenty of power and I used it to drive 3, 4-way, 300 watt (4 ohm) JBL towers with no problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks