What's new

I just discovered DVD concerts and they are great! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I just got an onkyo 595 and the rest of my home theater stuff. I also got a SVS 20-39. I got a James Taylor concert on a DVD. Wow! It was awesome to watch. The DVD quality of the picture and the dolby digital sound. I want more!!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions on some really good ones that the wife might like too! I am trying to talk her into a big screen.

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Concerts were my main reason for wanting DVD. Hell Freezes Over is one of my favorites. Santana is excellent, JT, Bonnie Rait, Don Henley, Paul Simon...... what a treat. I've read some pretty bad reviews on some of these titles here, but the bottom line is it beats the hell out of standing in line for tickets, fighting the crowd, and settling for an "off" night for the performer. In my opinion this is the best way to see your favorite performers in concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

MikeAW

Second Unit
Check out Neil Young's "Silver and Gold" and any Deep Purple title...they really give you lots of bang for your buck and loads of entertainment.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Brian,

A couple of my favorite titles are Springsteen's "Live in NYC" and Pearl Jam's "Touring Band 2000"....great stuff...enjoy!

Jack

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I only have a few concerts on DVD, but James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater and Peter Frampton Live in Detroit are outstanding. For the Frampton DVD, the DTS track is better than the Dolby Digital track. In my opinion, the Taylor DVD is incredible considering that it is in Dolby Digital. I don't have the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD, but I own the DTS CD, which is excellent. I assume the DVD is at least as good as the DTS CD.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
I have a number of these and they're all very good, but my favorite to date is "Roy Orbison: A Black & White Night. Released a short time before his death, it's great to watch Orbison in concert, sounding as good as he did 40 years ago. The man had an an amazing voice. He's joined onstage by Bonnie Raitt, kd lange and Jennifer Warnes doing vocal backups and Jackson Browne, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, JD Souther and T Bone Burnett as the band. A major jam show, well worth seeing.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
The only concert I have is James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater. I bought it yesterday and felt the need to tell someone about it. I like all kinds of music. I looked at a Metalica dvd but did not get it. I think my wife would like Fleetwood Mac - Dance! I heard it was good. All the other DVD's I have are movies. I really do not have that many. I just got a SVS 20-39 that is great. I want a big screen tv so I am trying to get things that my wife would like. lol Here is what I can think of:

Matrix

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Jurassic Park 3

Speedway (Imax)

Scooby Doo

The Secret of Nymh

Toy Story 1 & 2

Pearl Harbor

The Mummy

Shrek

MikeAW

Second Unit
Brian, I started out my DVD buying, loading up with concert films and documentaries....the German "Beat Tv' issues of sixties groups TRex, Roxy Music, Procol Harum, the Cream DVD's, two Neil Young DVD's, Dylan's "Dont Look Back", the Beatles "Help" and "Yellow Submarine" as well as some pricey Japanese issues like "Concert for Bangla Desh", Sex Pistols at Winterland, a two part Yes live thing from 1975, "Woodstock", the Stones DVD's, some foreign Rock VCD's too, and as for films, foreign films that I've liked over the years...the Criterion issues, etc..working up to recent stuff...a complete Steven Segal collection, and other purely mindless entertainment films that I love to put on.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I just put a few words about:
Elton John - Live At Madison Square Garden. on the software forum.
I don't know when this came out, but it is Fantastic.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Brian,

Either you read up or you were very lucky since James Taylor's Live at the Beacon Theater has to be one of the best, if not the best, sounding live concert DVD out there. I have the Who's Live at Royal Albert Hall. Its not the best sounding concert but if you like the Who its good.

Sarah McLachlan's Mirrorball is good too if you like her style of music. The sound is good but not great like the JT disc.

The Queen We Will Rock You DTS disc is also a good concert DVD.

Patrick

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Musically this may not be your cup of tea, but I always have to recommend King Crimson's Deja Vroom DVD. It's sound mix and quality is killer, and hearing the six powerful instruments with dedicated signals is something else.

One of the tracks also a cool feature where, by selecting the angle, you can have any one of the instruments coming through the center speaker, allowing you to pick out who's playing what and focusing on any individual musician.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you like "King Crimson" run, don't walk, to your local shop and buy the "Deja VROOM" disc.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Agreed, Deja Vroom is a must have.

Too bad Robert Fripp insists on sitting in the "dark" near the back of the stage. I am even surprised he allowed himself to be videotaped, since I have heard that if you take an unauthorized picture/video of him while he is performing he will stop the show until the camera is confiscated. A definite eccentric, but a great guitar player nonetheless.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Too bad Robert Fripp insists on sitting in the "dark" near the back of the stage. I am even surprised he allowed himself to be videotaped, since I have heard that if you take an unauthorized picture/video of him while he is performing he will stop the show until the camera is confiscated. A definite eccentric, but a great guitar player nonetheless.
Gosh, I could go into hours discussing Fripp's little philosophies. Sometimes I agree with it. For example, he hates the "fetishisation" of music, like autographs or pictures, because it places more emphasis on the personality than the performance. But a lot of the time, the man is full of shit. But that's his whole point: he may be a total jerk, but it shouldn't matter, because you're not there to see a "nice guy," you're there to see a guitar player and a band play wonderful, interesting music. And boy-howdy, do they deliver.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Check out both of the Metallica DVD concerts. "Cunning Stunts" and "S&M". The video quality on "Cunning Stunts" is really, really good. There are some multi-angle shots as well that keep you focused on certain members of the band.

The audio on S&M is better than the audio on Cunning Stunts, but the audio on Cunning Stunts is still excellent.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I was just in the record store and came across a few concert DVDs that I would like your opinions on, please:

Iron Maiden

I forgot what it was called, but the box said it was Bruce Dickinson's last concert with Maiden (before they reunited last year, that is). It's from 1993 and has 17 tracks. I don't have any of Maiden's music after Seventh Son and before the last one, so I don't know how those songs are, though I have heard a couple here and there, I just don't remember which. The box also suggested it had some elaborate horror-related stage show. Is it good, or at least entertaining in some way, or is it as stupid as I think it might be? Most importantly, how are the sound mix and camera work (ie, can I actually see the soloists solo?).

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer- Pictures at an Exhibition

I have the CD of this and I like it. In the record store, I saw something that was had DVD info on one side of the disc, and CD info on the other. I've never seen this before. If I get this it, does that mean it replaces the CD I currently have? That is, can I play it in CD players, cars, etc, like a regular CD? And is the concert worth watching?

Paul Simon- African concert

I assume this took place when Graceland came out. Paul Simon is my third favorite "singer-songwriter," and Graceland is one of my favorite albums of all time. Is there anything interesting on the DVD? There were some fantastic musicians on the album, do they get to jam a little or something? How's the mix?

I also saw a DVD for You're the One. I dig the album, but I don't think the DVD is of interest, especially with the other one out.

Also, are there any really good Deep Purple DVDs out there?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Also recommend Genesis' The Way We Walk concert DVD. You have to order directly from Genesis as it is not available in North America. Otherwise, excellent disc.
Hey, when will Warner Bros. decide to release Live Without A Net from Van Halen on DVD??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks