What's new

I haven't been able to find any info about the Eminence Lab12 woofer. Info? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I'm comparing the Tempest and the Eminence Lab12, but I haven't found any info about the Eminence on this forum.

Supposedly, it's designed for horn-loading.

Does this mean that the sub has to be used like this? Can I use it in a standard box enclosure with no horn? Has anyone designed a sub using this driver?

TIA.

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Search 'LAB horn'. It has specs very close to the Shiva so it's suitable for BR, etc., box loading, but I imagine much more robustly built to handle the horn loading, and so probably more expensive.

GM

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Why would you be comparing the LAB 12 to a Tempest. They are entirely different designs. I myself was rather miffed by Vance Dickason's recent review of the driver in Voice Coil. He completely ignored the intended application and all the background of why and where the driver was developed. That said, Eminence did do a great job in creating a really beefy driver. One benefit some of the bass freaks might like is that they won't be able to bottom the driver without damaging it. In other words, if someone ever did abuse it enough to let the coil hit the back plate, the driver will not be the same afterwards, as they would have torn through the spyder's limiting. Realize though, that in the intended application, the excursion limits of the driver will NEVER be an issue unless gross power and EQ were used below 25Hz. The LAB subwoofer is a power limited system, not excursion and only slightly by distortion.

I guess there is no reason this driver can't be used in a vented alignment. That said, the Titanic MkII is pretty damn close and probably more suitable for vented boxes where the LAB12 will work much better in the very precisely designed bass horn.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mark!

If it isn't too much of a bother, can you point to any links where I can learn the differences between a horn loaded system and a standard subwoofer? I don't think a horn would be an easy to make DIY first system, but it's always an interesting possibility later on.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I haven't found the time yet (I'm pretty positive by now I'll be building a sealed Tempest box), but the 14 threads that come up when I do the search look as if they have the key to learn what a bass horn is :) Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks