What's new

I have G.A.S. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever heard a system with three identical speakers in the front? Would you use two different speakers for a stereo soundfield? If not, why not? There are three stereo soundfields in a properly calibrated home theater front array.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

Yes, from Kef Eggs, M&K S-85 and M&K S-150. Forgetting about I don't like the sound of M&K (too forward/edging on harsh- can't use for more than a couple of hours) I find using a high quality centre is a perfect match, if you can find a speaker company that makes high quality mains AND centre speaker- not just good mains and throw in any rubbish centre.

Panning from L/C/R in my system is perfectly matched and even, despite not having identical speakers x 3, and sounds fantastic. Anyway I can't have three identical floorstanding speakers even if I wanted to; a Plasma hung about 8' from the floor would allow it- but screen will be way too high, same for projection- as the bottom of the screen screen would have to be about 4' from the floor-so using a identical floorstanding centre would cover up the bottom of the screen (unless using a acoustically transparent screen- placing the speaker behind it, but that'll make the arguement of matching speakers useless. Having the screen just above the top of the floorstanders would be too high as well.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

I just F.A.R.T.E.D.....Faroujda Anti-aliasing Reverse Time-shifting Enhanced Definition...............syndrome

Dudes,

Chester

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
TimMc,

Now I am completely confused. I don't even know the answer anymore. When I had the c1000a and i needed service, i talke to Sunfire, and they said that they own the Carver name and took are of things...This was in 2002.

I will say this, I am pretty sure that the Carver 505's were sent to onecall from Sunfire and that their warranty coverage is out of Sunfire. I suggest calling onecall.com they are authorized for everything that they sell, they will give an honest answer.

Rich

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Rich -

I positootely don't know for sure, either - I'd just seen articles in a couple of places and happened to remember reading about it. I never really knew the details of Carver->Sunfire - I was hoping that Bob Carver might jump in here to clear things up and to share all the dirty details but I'm not exactly holding my breath on that one...

I think your suggestion on OneCall is key for anyone tempted by the AV-505. We've had absolutely no problem with OneCall so far - they sure do appear to be authorized for everything (yes, I did check on any number of items I considered or was researching, and they came up on the manufacturer's Web site every time. And yes, I really did check and yes, I am paranoid about these things but that's OK 'cause I know they're out to get me ;~). Anyway, anyone can check w/ OneCall and check the warranty details listed for the 505 and make their own decision. At that price...

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
It might.

The semi-subtle hint about checking OneCall and the warranty is because of the verbiage in their listing. This is in their AV-505 Specifications section - "Designed and built by Carver Corporation in Lynnwood, WA USA". And this is what pops up when you click on their Manufacturer's Warranty link - "Simply bring the AV505 into your local Carver authorized service center and Carver will cover the charges".

I'm not a lawyer (and won't insert lawyer jokes here today) and I don't know the details between Carver Corp., Sunfire, Phoenix Gold, or whoever. I'd guess that as long as the amp isn't DOA then it'll likely last for a long, long time so I wouldn't be too concerned if it were me doing the buying (or else I'd spring for their $30 extended warranty as "no lemon" insurance). For that OneCall price it could be a fun toy to try out.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks