I have G.A.S.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bernie_A, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

Gear Aquisition Syndrome......OneCall has the Carver AV-505 on sale right now for $288.32! Is this enough amp to see an appreciable upgrade for my HK AVR-7200? I am getting the upgrade itch and for this price, would it be worth it?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Many of my friends use Carver amps in the their HTs and I'm not impressed with them at all. I honestly think your HK 7200 recv will sound better as is then if you add that particular. But why listen to me, if the vendor has a reasonable return policy then buy it and try it out...return it if you don't think it's an improvement.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I don't think onecall takes returns unless it is broken....

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

If true, that sounds like a great reason NOT to buy from One Call [​IMG]

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Yes, you need to be sure of what you want when purchasing from Onecall.

Doug

6. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

They only accept unopened/sealed packages within 30 days or defective product within 15 days.

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

8. Bernie_A

I have Swans 5.2 fronts, C3 center and 2.1 rears. They are all bi and tri amp (fronts) except the center. It's not bi-amp-able.

I am REALLY happy with the 7200 other than sometimes dialoge is a little hard to hear. The system is calibrated so I don't know if that's more symptomatic of certain movies, receiver shortcomings, center channel deficiencies, or what? If I run the center a little hot during those dialoge moments, we get blasted when the scene changes to something with more action. I guess I was curious if a dedicated amp would help that or not.

What are your suggestions or thoughts?

9. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Try using dynamic range compression setting.

10. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Suggestions? Be very happy with that 7200.

Oh, and you may want to investigate what warranty you'd actually get and how any warranty work might be handled if that AV-505 ever went south during the warranty period. I believe that Carver declared Chapter 11 a few years back and the rights, etc. got acquired by another company? I didn't bother doing the Web search 'cause I've already looked into the OneCall offer and just decided that it wasn't what I wanted to throw money after.

We've dealt with OneCall before (for big stuff, no less), and if you really know what you want and what's in the deal then you can do very, very well through OneCall. If you're just on a fishing expedition then they are going to try to discourage you, that's all. They're not all that bad to deal with, but don't expect the best price and full/unlimited return rights w/ no questions asked all in the same deal. That seemed reasonable to me.

11. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

12. Bernie_A

JohnSmith,

Do you mean "Just turn the volume up or down? That's it.....up.....or......down.......up........or..... ..down"

13. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I thought I'd read somewhere a while back that Carver was bought by someone/something called Phoenix Gold? I thought that the Carver Corp of Bob Carver fame went out of business 4 or 5 years back - which is why I was just a little leary of the AV-505 deal. I may be all wrong in how I'm remembering this and if I wasn't so darned lazy (and didn't already have enough amp) I'd probably go through the search stuff to find all that. I do know that OneCall isn't selling that thing as a Sunfire amp...

14. JohnSmith

No. Most good DD decoders/AV amps/AV pre-amps have Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Compression (also called Night Mode) it brings the loudest and quietest portions of the sound track closer.

With DRC off

Whisper --< Very quiet
    BOOOM ---< Very loud

With DRC on

Whisper--< bit louder (and audible)
    BOOOM --< not so loud as before

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If that's the case, Phoenix Gold is quite active in car audio. Maybe, Carver is in better hands now than ever (or, maybe not.)

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bernie, a dedicated amp is going to do nothing for your dialog problems, the amplifiers in your receiver are excellent. I would guess that you've got a defficient center channel speaker. Most home theaters do. The center should be the exact same speaker as the front L/R pair for an optimal front soundfield. Once you've heard identicals you'll never go back to a so-called "center" speaker again.

17. JohnSmith

Rubbish. There are plenty of hi-end dedicated centre speakers. I own one. [​IMG]

I can understand why you feel some centre's are lacking in SQ- owning two poor performing middle-budget (£200) centre's really didn't impress me. You really need something of a higher quality, (they start about £500, recommend something upto £1500), ie something from Kef's Reference line (202c)

18. Bernie_A

Well Philip, the center is supposedly a perfect match the fronts. With the Swans C3 center, it's "in theory" a 5.2 tower layed on it's side. During calibration, I did notice a **VERY** slight difference in tonal quality but it's pretty darn close.....ALMOST perfect IMO. I did angle the center speaker down a bit (on top of RPTV) which helped with imaging a little bit.

JohnSmith, at first I had no idea what you were talking about...obviously. But, I did look into what you were describing as "night mode" and sure enough, the 7200 has it (as you expected). I will check that setting ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion. And your point is well taken with the quality of the center. Sure, it's an entry level high-end quality speaker but I am sure it's not even close to some of the mid-to-ultra high end centers. But, we do have a budget and for what I paid, I am very happy. It's probably best I don't hear those very expensive speakers because I would probably be ruined for life. As it is, I've spent a small fortune (for me at least) on what I do have.

Trust me...I am more than 98 and 2/3% happy as hell with the 7200 and I most likely haven't even begun to really test it's limits yet. I just saw that amp deal and was really curious about how much, if any, improvement in sound quality there was to be had with it compared to the HK amps....which, on the 7200, are obviously fantastic.

At this point, I am going to save my money and upgrade the little Velodyne CHT-10 to an SVS PCi based sub.

19. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

TimMC,

You are confusing carver professional, which makes an acclaimed digital amp...some info is here:

http://www.carverpro.com/2003/contacts.html

Carver, as in Bob Carver, bought Carver (the one that makes the 505) a few years ago. They made the Carver C1000 and and C1000a (which was a really great receiver that I owned).

These companies are separate.

If you go to Carveraudio.com, you can see that it says warranties and service on Carver products are handled through Sunfire.

Rich

20. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Rich -

You may be right on that (I am a village idiot, after all) but I did know about Carver Professional 'cause I'd already heard about that from my (much smarter) sister. She'd had a Carver amp just about forever & she was the one who first told me about Carver going into the dumpster. After your post I did go looking and found one of the articles that I'd read -

and while it does talk about the earlier acquisition of Carver Professional it also mentions that Phoenix Gold finally acquired the remnants of Carver Corp & the Carver name. I always thought Sunfire was started by Bob Carver after he left Carver in the '90s (about when Carver apparently sold Carver Pro?). I'm sure there are all the real details lying around somewhere but I didn't see them prominently displayed at the Carver site ;~).