What's new

I have $2500 to spend. What units are recommended? (1 Viewer)

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the 50" VS-50803 4:3 HDTV. It is a first generation HDTV model made in 1999 with BNC connectors. I was thinking about selling it and buying a newer 16x9 50"-65" HDTV for about $2500.00. I was looking at the new Mitsubishi 65" HDTV Silver Series WS-65313. I saw it at BB and was very impressed with the picture quality. Clarity was awesome. Just wanted to know what most people thought I should get for the money?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well you might want to go a step up, there Gold series is great performance/value. Take a look at them, but of course for the same price range you will have to sacrafice a little bit of TV size.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
You can get a Pioneer 64" HD 16:9 for about $2200 at CostCo. If there's a CostCo close by that is.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd seriously consider going front projection. Panasonic PT-L300U, Sony HS10, Sanyo Z1 and there are several very good DLP units in this price range as well.

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Keep the 4:3, add a Panny L300U FP or equivilent, a pull down screen, and some blackout shades for the windows. That's basically what I did (except I ended up making a whole movie room in the back) and I've never looked back.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
My apartment is too small for that kind of set up. I either wanted to get a next generation 16x9 RPTV or possible save a bit longer and get a Flat Panel to save room and open up my apartment.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you want to save room and are considering something around 50", you might want to take a look at the new Panny 50LC13 LCD-based RPTV that's been receiving some raves. I have not personally seen it myself, but many people seem to think it looks very much like a Panny plasma TV in terms of PQ and compares fairly well against the Sammy DLP RPTVs that cost $1K more. The Panny will cost you a bit more than what you asked, but it's probably not way out of your range though at

Dave_Nich

Auditioning
I bought the Mitsu 55313 55" Silver Series at BB for $1600 (used freinds discount). This is my first HDTV set and it looks great.!!!

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Pioneer Elite pro 530hd for $2450 after rebate. I really like it. I upgraded from a Mitsubishi 55807. I bought it because it has 2 DVI inputs.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
You know, if you want to save room I wouldn't necessarily rule out FP. It doesn't have to be setup for a 100" (give or take) screen; you can always do a 50-70" screen. There are a couple of advantages to this: with the smaller screen you'll get a brighter, crisper picture than on the 100" FP setup, and if you have space for the larger screen in your next apartment or house you can easily swap screens.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
A digital projector with a short throw length lense definately is feasible. The Panasonic 300U for instance can throw a 100" screen when placed 10-12' from the screen. This is however a little big for the viewing distance to the screen (1.5 times the screen width for the viewing distance is recommended). But that can be solved simply by mounting the projector a little closer to the screen and/or using the zoom on the lense to reduce the screen to the low 80" range and you'll be in great shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks