What's new

I hate leafblowers (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Mike, have you ever tried putting a plastic lid over the recycle bin? Or put a flat wooden board over it with a rock (or brick) on top.

Your arguments just don't seem to outweigh the good that recycling does.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
# All food containers must be rinsed and the lids should be put in your garbage cart.
# Paper products must be separated from your plastic, glass and metal containers. Put the paper products in a brown, paper grocery bag or separate recycling bin.
# Corrugated cardboard must be flattened and cut or folded to 2 feet by 2 feet. The maximum size that will be collected is 3 feet by 3 feet. Tie the pieces together in manageable bundles with string, tape or twine. Pizza boxes should be put in your garbage cart.
That right there is why. I don't have time to separate lids, wash out cans, and sort trash so their job is easier. I'm paying for it to get hauled away and sorted, so why should I presort for them?

There are 6 web pages with rules on what you can and cannot recycle. No thanks, I don't have time for all that. Either I just dump everything resembling paper, plastic, and cans into the bin and not worry about it or I just toss everything into my big can as garbage and only walk one container out to the curb. And I know that no one knows the rules because I see the junk thats on the "do not recycle" list all the time in people bins and flying around outside because it blew away.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone invented a self-guided electric lawnmower yet? If they can make a self-guided cordless vaccum cleaner (The Roomba!), then I think they would have the technology to make a machine to cut lawns at automated intervals.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone invented a self-guided electric lawnmower yet? If they can make a self-guided cordless vaccum cleaner
They have robotic ones. You setup a perimeter wire. It cuts along the perimeter and then starts doing the inside in a somewhat random fashion. Toro sells one.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I see that neat green thing all the time on TV garden shows. I wonder how it works in practice.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
This is one of my pet peeve topics. You know what, if your air is dirty, then do something about it. I life in freaking Nebraska, and I'm frankly not worried about smog or water polution. Why? Becuase natures still winning here. There are too few people per square mile to polute the state. So quit bitching and move to Nebraska. :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
when i lived in apartments, i couldn't stand em. i used to *hate* it when they worked in the morning. it truly drove me crazy.

then i bought a house. :b

now i'm considering buying one. a large portion of my backyard is "edged" with rock. when i mow, clippings fly into the rock, die, and turn an ugly brown color. drives me crazy.

but my yard is relatively small, so i think an electric one would work. so, i'm not too worried about polluion.

anyone have any recommendations for one? :D (just kidding...don't wanna hijack the thread...)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

Get a mulching mower and the grass is mulched right into the lawn below the mower and won't get on the rocks. The grass is cut straight and neat and yet the grass does not have to be bagged or anything.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with MikeAlletto on this one. People are always so quick to try and promote eco-friendly products. The problem is that 99% of the time, they don't work as well and cost more than conventional products. The only way to "save the world" is to develop a better product at a lower price. Then the free market system will kick in and everyone will buy it. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay thousands of dollars for some solar powered lawn equipment that doesn't work worth a crap but won't pollute.

While I don't have a blower...yet, I have a gas RIDING mower and trimmer. I even play with 2 stroke trimmer engines for fun. I race 1/5th scale R/C cars with 6 hp 2 stroke trimmer engines. If you lived by me, you'd get to hear a weed eater rip down the street at 60 mph :)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
In the Village I live in, we don't have to separate any of our recycling. We just throw everything into one bin (paper, aluminum, cardboard, plastic, glass, etc.) and the company who picks it up separates it. No tearing off labels either. If I did have to do all of that separating and such I probably wouldn't recycle either.

As for why it's important to remove the leaves from your lawn (whether by rake or powered tool), if you don't your the leaves will eventually kill your grass. Not good.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, rake the leaves and throw them into a composter along with any extra grass clippings and your regular food waste and you get nice fertilizer to spread on your lawn and garden.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hey, in the "village" my parents live in, they get all their trash together, separate out the metals, and burn the rest. There's no trash service, much less recycling. The metals (cans etc.) and glass get dumped in a pit that you bury over every 10 years and start a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks