I hate leafblowers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure I can even explain why but something pisses me off about seeing a gardener with a leafblower. Maybe it's because they symbolize the literal pushing of nature by technological means. The noise, the pollution they emit as well as the clouds of dust they kick up.

Anyone else bothered by them?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I agree that they seem to be one of the most pointless machines ever manufactured. The same job can be accomplished by a rake with a lot less pollution, consumption of natural resources, noise, and clouds of dust.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

...and a lot more time, effort and cost. If I was a professional landscaper, I'd use a leafblower, not a rake. That's like complaining that office workers use computers instead of typewriters when they want to write a letter.

Leafblowers of the world unite!

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Boo! Hiss! :p)

I understand how they can save time, doesn't mean I like them any better though.

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Oh I hate them as well. There's nothing like waking up at 6am on a Saturday to some guy blowing leaves outside your apartment window. Ugh.

Plus, I've never understood why leaves were so bad. If they're that important use a rake and if they aren't, just leave them be. We all know the next gust of wind will just blow the leaves back.

Now if the leave blowers actually picked UP the leaves and bagged them, that might be a different story.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I love em. I can't wait for my giant oak to start shedding this fall so I can try out my new toy:

[​IMG]

Craftsman 4-in-1 Yard Vac

7. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Matt that's quite a monster! I also recently bought a blower/vac and it saves lots of time blowing to one spot and vaccuming it rather than raking and using my hands/dustpan. It is pretty loud though for an electrical device.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I can't say I mind Leaf Blowers, but I do get aggravated when I see someone blowing their crap into the streets or someone elses lawn [​IMG]

and there's an obvious joke in here as well...

(Adapted from the Snow Blower joke)
    Q: Why was the tree smiling?
    A: He saw the leaf blower coming.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My blower sucks and bags, it's great.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

If they'd make a leaf-blower silencer and federally mandate a 65db maximum noise limit, then I'd be a happy camper.

And if your leaf-blower was making more than 65db's worth of noise, the attending officer could use lethal force against the contraption. Then I'd be really happy.

And I'd be really really happiy if lawnmowers, gas-powered power brooms and snowblowers also had strictly enforced noise levels.

14. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

15. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Guess, you obviously have never done any kind of heavy duty landscaping or lawn maintenance. Those things can save TONS of time, money and effort. We usually use them for blowing dirt/dust/leaves/grass off of sidewalks, driveways, etc etc. They are a godsend and a must have on all golf courses and lawn maintenance crews.

17. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I have an electric leaf blower. I only use it to dry my car after washing.

18. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Hey Andrew,

I'm surprised. I would have thought you dried your car with one of your silica gel packet bill dividers.

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

20. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I hate them, too. Not because of the heavy-duty landscapers, but because of the schmucks in my neighborhood that have them for our postage stamp sized yards.[​IMG]

If they'd bring the noise AND emissions in line with what's required of autos, I'd have no problem with them. Running a two-cycle leaf blower for 20 mins is equivalent to driving a car a few hundred miles. This is progress??

I'm moving my lawn gear toward all-electric (cordless, actually). I'd recommend it for anyone with a 1/4 acre or less of yard (even 1/2 acre or less really).

Todd

P.S. I find pressure washers a big waste of time, too, for the average owner.