What's new

I got the blues - preamp busted. Help me replace it. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My preamp busted. It started making a hiss on and off a few days ago. It would go like 6 seconds hissing, 5 seconds silent, 6 seconds hissing, 5 seconds silent. It did not matter if the only things turned on were the preamp and the amplifier. It didn't matter what was going on with the surround modes, or 6 channel in. The hiss was not affected by the volume control.

It was like

hisss.....silence....hisss.....silence....hisss... ..silence....

Drove me nuts.

So I tried to reset the unit, and now it won't turn on at all whatsoever. It's totally dead. Less than a year old but I bought it from a reseller on eBay and I don't think that my "receipt" will be good for warrantee purposes. Actually I don't want to insult the manufacturer by even asking. They've been very good to me in the past with customer service.

So the short story is I need a new preamp. Let's hear some suggestions. I want to keep the price as low as humanly possible. I'll be willing to do without DTS (maybe buy a Millenium 2.4.6 at $200 for that purpose) if I can get a good DD only preamp for really cheap (like under$300). Heck, even an old 5.1 ready pre would work, as I have a DD decoder in the attic (for under $200).

Used is OK, doesn't scare me. I need loads of S-video switching for SVHS, DVD, Satellite, CLD-99 LaserDisc (which mean the H/K Signature 2.0 as much as I like it, is out). I don't really need a RF in since I have my old DD decoder and can use the 5.1 channel in. I do absolutely need a 5.1 channel in (which excludes the Sony 9000ES I believe).

Suggestions? 5.1 is all I need, I have a nice Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 amplifier and little room for more speakers. (though this would be a nice excuse to go for 6/7.1.....)

I am right now leaning heavily towards the Outlaw 950 preamp. I have had good experience with the ICBM, and would consider Outlaw. It is more than I want to spend, by a long shot, but I'm kinda stuck here and DPLII would be nice for all my old ProLogic LaserDiscs.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Look at my post on a Marantz AV550 I have for sale (Hardware For Sale or Trade) This is a 1000 pre/pro when new and is in like new condition now (remote is brand new) send me an email or PM if you are in need I am sure we can work it out. . .Guy

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Damn Phil that sucks. I'd sure take a stab at seeing if either the retailer can help you out or for that matter if the manufacturer will cover you. I wouldn't worry about insulting the manufacturer, after all, its not like we consumers haven't been insulted. The coverage of your unit may depend in part upon local laws which may supercede those of the manufacturer. Give it a shot!

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Philip,

Is this the Sherwood Preamp? If so a friend of mine at work had an issue with his Sherwood amp. He called Sherwood and found out that there was a authorized dealer near our company. Their name is Washington Electronics and they're down the road from you in Sullyfield circle, Chantilly VA. They honored the warranty on it, he purchased it on Ubid plus they had it fixed in a couple of days.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Guy, believe me I spent a long time searching google and other search engines about your Marantz. Unfortunately it has no 5.1 ins, an absolute requirement for me for my DVD-A and SACD machines.
Kevin,
I have had good experience with Washington Electronics in the past, but they totally failed on my 9080.
Here's some background.....
I got the 9080 combo last year in Jan/Feb. The amp came from uBid, the pre came from a reseller on Ebay (new). I don't think I even have a "receipt" for the pre from Ebay. :frowning:
In May the amp broke. I brought it to Washington Electronics and they "repaired" it (downtime at least three weeks). As soon as I hooked it up it immediately broke again the exact same way. Another 2-3 downtime. Washington Electronics tried again, this time it worked for two weeks. At this point, Sherwood said "send it to us". I sent it to them (total downtime well over a month - it was very expensive to ship due to size and weight so I sent it slow). Sherwood corporate fixed it. It came back and worked for about a day before it started doing the same thing again. At this point Sherwood to their credit replaced the unit with a brand new one. More downtime, probably another month, as I sent it off again, this time on them, and waited for the replacement. I got a good feeling from Sherwood that they were really trying to make things right for a long time. I can not complain about their customer service at all, it is good. My old Pioneer 606 receiver that I had in the bedroom did a passable job in the meantime.
Now, they have treated me well by replacing my amp bought from uBid for $350 on deep closeout. I'm sure they have lost a lot of money on me.
I might just be having bad luck...
Unfortunately, as a result of this I have absolutely no confidence in the ability of either my local service center Washington Electronics (who again have done good work for me in the past on other gear) or Sherwood corporate to repair this unit. I paid under $400 for it, and at this point rather than face months of on and off downtime I'm ready to just cut my losses. It was tough enough plugging and unplugging my amp all those times, with just 10 wires. I am not going to go through that with my pre which has about 100 wires coming out of it.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I understand your situation Phil but I wouldn't feel so bad about them losing money on you any more that I feel bad for Ford/Firestone for that tire issue. Maybe you can still take the pre over to washington and have them repair it even without a receipt (ebay themselves might be able to help you out on this) as often products have a code on them indicating manufacturing date. Then when you get it back, sell it. In the meantime, i feel for your troubles and hope its replacement provides years of good service.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, you definately put up with quite a lot with the amp situation. After what you've gone through I don't blame you for cutting your losses and moving on.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I might do that.

In the meantime, I need a replacement - now. I will probably go with the new Outlaw instead of anything used.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Phil:
As you noted in the other thread I started.
One Call is offering the HK AVR 520 $496.23 shipped for today only.

This is a 7.1 Channel Capable Receiver with DTS-ES, DPLII and Logic7 Processing. Go to the HTF Deals Page to read more and take advantage of this special pricing.
Parker

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Parker,
Than H/K is very tempting, and I almost went for it, but it is lacking on inputs and won't quite accomodate me unfortunately. Man I hope somebody jumps on that because it is a very good bargain.
Danny, looking now..... :) Not interested...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
I bugged Jeff so much about my amp and I had the receipt for that. They've been good to me with fixing my amp (that I bought for 1/4 the retail price) at this point I honestly don't want to bother them. :frowning:
I'm making room for the Outlaw which is on it's way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks