What's new

I Got My Driving Permit! (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Yep, it's way overdue considering I'll turn 17 in 5 months (which is when I'll get my license). I'm picking it up pretty fast. I just went to Arby's and picked up some sandwiches. Driving rules.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I didn't get my license til I was 18. Took driver's ed on my Senior year at 17. Did the test in my dad's Lumina. Failed. Cut someone off, thought he hadda stop sign and I had the right away. After that, I got my Toyota Van outta the shop and a week later, I took the test in that. Only been driving it for a week and I passed. Toyota Van = No nose in front, easier manuvering, and better view.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Here in Joisey, the driving laws were just changed, so I got screwed. I won't bother explaining it.

I'm 16, got my permit in June. I've driven once since then (it was stick, but I wasn't that bad). My birthday is in October, which means I only had 4 months to go until my birthday. Unfortunately, they schedule your appointment to get your license when you get your permit, and instead of getting my license in December, I have to wait until March. Ugh.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Congrats! I got my Learner's license (must drive with full license holder, 0%BAC at all times, and has time restrictions) the date of my birthday, and my NOVICE license (must display NOVICE sign, and 0%BAC at all times) on the earliest test date.
Its awesome driving aint it? Good job :)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't get my lisence until I was 18. It's not too uncommon. probably better cause you loose two years that you would have more than likely of done something stupid.

As much as I like to speed, and watch street races I'm surprised that in two years that I've been driving I haven't gotten a ticket or even had the slightest accident. Man I'm doomed... something's going to happen and it's gonna be bad.

Also it helped being a Valet for a year, you end up learning everything, monster trucks (had one or two I parked), diesels, stick shifts, makes a regular car with an auomatic trans. seem so easy.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I got my driver license when I was 20 (damn WTF was I thinking waiting that long?) Talk about a bunch of missed trips to the nudie bar!! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

ryan davis

Stunt Coordinator
I didnt get my drivers license until i was 20. I never really saw the need to. I still would rather ride my bike, but thats not always the best choice for the tasks at hand.

I've got all of you late-comers beat. I'm 35 and just got my first license last Tuesday. And I got my first flat tire last night. :angry:

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I got my permit when I was 15, my full (unrestricted; they've added many restrictions in recent years since) license when I was 16. And I've been driving recklessly ever since.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
  • got my full permit at 15 1/2
  • scored 100% on both my written and driving tests
  • approx 3 months later ran into a lightpole!
  • drove like a nut for about 12 years - finally calmed down when i turned 26ish
words of advice (i'm sure they'll go in one ear and out the other, but what the heck!)
  1. don't drive drunk - it's just not worth it
  2. don't drive if you're...umm...not feeling yourself
  3. be patient - zipping in and out of traffic NEVER pays off. you always end up maybe two or three cars in front of whoever you almost cut off, then you feel like an ass
  4. don't drive angry
  5. did i mention don't drive drunk?[/list=1]

finally, think about what it would feel like to hit another car (or object) doing 65mph. damn...i feel like a dad! :)

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I got my license at 17 also. My dad gave me is old Toyota that was a stick. Pretty much got it down after a few tries in a parking lot. I drove it around the neighborhood for a few more days to really get comfortable with the clutch. Although I had a bad habit of leaving the lights on. :b But it was a small light car so as long as I was on a level surface or a downgrade, I could push the car from the driver side, jump in, hit the clutch and the gas, put the car in gear and then pop out the clutch while it was still rolling to start the car. This trick saved my ass a few times.

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on getting your licence. I got learners permit 3 weeks after my 16th birthday, and my full licence 9 months later.

Lemme give you one piece of advice about speeding. I'd say "don't do it", but then you'll end up in front of me slowing me down. So yeah, speed. But don't EVER pass a cop on the inside lane...doing 40 over the limit...with a 5-foot stuff animal snake hanging out of the passenger side of the car...full of teenagers... they don't like that too much and stick you with $276 speeding tickets (on your first offence). Learn from me.

Or get a radar detector...either way.

-Rob

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Got my licence at 16. Drove very carefully. I am now 26 and am ready to drive like a maniac.

Take that, insurance companies, for making me pay such high premiums when I was younger! :p)

-JNS

KyleS

Screenwriter
Congrats on getting your liscence just gives me one more reason to stay off the road ;)
I got my premit when I was 15 and waited till I was 17 to get my full liscence and what a nerve racking experience that was. Lucky for me I passed on the first try. Bits of advice from above that are true is
1) Never drive after drinking even if you "think" you are ok. If you dont feel normal then dont drive. Buzz= No Go.
2) Slow down when you are in adverse conditions you really dont have very much control especially in snow and ice. (its no fun to do a head on at 40mph when the other guy is also doing that. Like hitting a brick wall going 80 and I can attest to that). :frowning:
3) Watch out for cops, in other words just pay attention for them and you can avoid most tickets. The tickets that hurt are the ones where you dont see them and go flying by lucky for me I have not had one YET, though getting pulled over is not a new experience for me.
4) Speeding when in traffic is just plain stupid and you usually will only save a few seconds from the guy going the speed limit.
Best of luck on the road and be safe.
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks