What's new

I give Jimmy Kimmel's new show 2 months tops... (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I would suggest giving Kimmel about 30 days to get his show going. I have the tape of the first week of Jay Leno when he started The Tonight Show stint and the showed definitely lacks the polish of the current shows.

After all, have you ever seen the earliest episodes of Late Night with David Letterman? It was quite rough and awkward compared to the later shows Letterman did for NBC before he left for CBS.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ehhhhh I want the Dana Carvey Show back. :D

As for fan bases Conan seems to have the most active fansites full of dedicated goofballs such as myself, with Leno coming in last. But to be honest people tend to favor the comedians on their coast regardless of TV station.

I can't count how many breast implant or sex scandal jokes I've heard on Leno (not even during the monologue), while Conan and Letterman deal more with the postmodern crowd, wearing expensive suits in well-to-do NYC with Letterman using precious air-time for "Will it Float?" contests and there's Conan's ever-lovable Bush and Geraldo impressions. :laugh:

Everyone has different comedic styles, and there's someone out there for every sense of humor it seems.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Reading the Fox News Report... "Well, what the hell did they expect from the makers of the Man Show", should be my only response :). Judging from the report, this show should have been on FOX, rather than the 'familly friendly' ABC.

But at least they are getting lots of great publicity :). I'll have to remember to tune in next time...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I would have loved for this show to be on Fox, keep the alcohol and lighten up on content. Keep it live. Now that this show is taped before airing...I wonder how it's gonna do.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Here it started at 11 so it went half into Leno and Letterman, and the first half of Kilborn and Conan. Personally, I was hoping for it to be part of the early shows.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Now that this show is taped before airing...I wonder how it's gonna do.
:confused:

It's still live (in the eastern and central time zones, anyway). Jimmy talked about it on tonight's episode, and at one point towards the end of the show the TVs behind him were actually showing tonight's episode of Conan (Conan was interviewing Ellen Degeneres), There was a delay of a few seconds, but obviously the show isn't taped.

By the way, tonight's show was terrible. Two segments at the start of the show with some actress paid to act like she sees ghosts, one segment with Tammy Faye (the "main guest"), a segment with Jimmy's uncle... It really seems like Jimmy is trying to get the show canned!

Ike

Screenwriter
I thought tonight's episode was funny in a "thrown together-live mishaps on the air" kind of way. The woman's freak out was hilarious, and Snoop seems to have fully relaxed into the sidekick gig. Needs more written comedy, still, but not bad at all.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's last call at Jimmy Kimmel's new ABC talk show.

After a boisterous premiere during which actor George Clooney passed around a bottle of vodka and an audience member vomited, the bar that serves drinks to audience members has been shut down.

"We were not comfortable with the systems in place for serving wine and beer," ABC spokesman Kevin Brockman said.
I didn't watch the show, but I like Jimmy Kimmel. What I don't like, however, is the hypocricy and gutlessness of the network suits. If they wanted decorum, or just another bit of safe entertainment carefully composed to not offend anyone, then why hire Jimmy Kimmel and promote the show as a crazy live event where anything can happen? It's dangerous! It's edgy! It's not your grandpa's network!

Well, when it comes right down to it, it is grandpa's network, after all... isn't it?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
On the premiere show, Kimmel, who was miraculously lucky to book George Clooney, asks him "So how are things on E.R."?
He showed total lack of respect for his guest by not even bothering to know that Clooney left that show YEARS ago. George had the grace to smile, say "very good" and let it slide.

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
On the premiere show, Kimmel, who was miraculously lucky to book George Clooney, asks him "So how are things on E.R."?
That was totally sarcastic. Kimmel wasn't serious at all. You'd have to be the biggest idiot in the world to not know Clooney is off ER. As soon as Kimmel asked the question, he started laughing. It was completely intended as a joke.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I've been holding back from responding since a lot of people seem to enjoy the show but I still think the show is pure nonsense. Fine, we can make assumptions that it will get better and that he'll be "just as good as Conan" in a year or two... but for right now this is just such mindless junk.

But hey, we live in a free society and people can watch what they want (the beauty of cable/satellite)... Enjoy!

Christopher P

Supporting Actor

Or what I like to all "Pulling a Larry King." How the heck has THAT guy lasted so long. Who's tuning in to see interviews with every single family member and friend of that missing Medesto, CA chick?

Kimmel will do fine, let's just not talk about him lasting a couple years or more though. It won't happen.

Chris

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Ya Pete, it seems to be live tonight. But I was watching either last night, or the night before, and they were talking about Joe Millionare. Jimmy made mentioned that the people in the audience had not seen what happens on Joe Millionare that night because it was being taped at 3pm or something. Still, I'm loving this show. I find myself staying up late. Conan had gotten stale so I havn't been watching it in a while. Now, I find myself wanting a dual-tuner Tivo, so I can record both of these shows, and still get my sleep. You notice what time it is I'm posting this? While Jimmy and Conan are on :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks