What's new

I give Jimmy Kimmel's new show 2 months tops... (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
The guy was just awful. How could ABC ever have thought he could handle a talk show? Craig Kilborn is dry but somewhat polished. Kimmel is just drivel. He should be doing Star Search and Arsenio should get his show back!

MikeM

Screenwriter
Public relations pressure from advertisers and affiliates regarding comments made by Bill Maher in the wake of 9/11 resulted in this new show for ABC. When you go for that key demographic of younger males, a la The Man Show, this is what you get. Lame.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I completely disagree. He did seem a little nervous (understandably), but I thought it was better than any of the other talk show drab that's out there now. Arsenio???? Are you kidding me?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I also disagree. I thought it was great! :emoji_thumbsup:

Hopefully ABC gives the show some time to find its groove. Goodness knows, everyone hated Conan when he started out, too.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to wait for a few more shows before I say whether or not I think it will last. I do think Kimmel did a great job last night especially the way he handled the whole Jon Gruden thing. I definitely laughed more often than I normally do for Letterman or Leno. Craig Kilborn is just painful to watch and Conan should go back to the Simpsons. I really hope this show lasts.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Does having a new talk show mean he won't be doing The Man Show any longer? That would suck, since The Man Show is one of my favorite shows on television.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
It wasn't the BEST, but it does have potential. It will take a few shows for them to get it together. I hope ABC at least gives it a chance.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Give it some time. It was a special and live, with probably most of the people involved just having gotten back from watching the Superbowl, so it wasn't as polished as it could have been. Kimmel did talk a little too much and overdid the bit about his producer, but everything else was fine for last night's show.

~T

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
This is going to go up against Leno and letterman right? I think he'll do fine. It was a funny show and seeing Snoop drunk was funny. Yea the first show was rough, but if the sensors don't get him, then he'll survive. This one's probably aimed at the college crowd more than anything.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I only caught about 20 minutes of it, but I laughed my ass off several times which is good enough for me. Face it, no one tunes into any of these late night "talk" shows for insightful interviews. If people wanted that, Tom Snyder would still be on the air(and there are times I really do miss that guy). They wanna be entertained. That's why for me, Conan will always be the king of late night, and I'll occasionally watch Kilby and Letterman. Leno...nuff said.

And please people, give Kimmel some time. If last night's premiere was as heinously awful as Chevy Chase's first show, I could understand everyone calling for his cancellation. Just keep in mind that Conan sucked for a year and a half(by his own admission) before he really got going. Give dude a chance.

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm glad Kimmel separated himself from the misogynist (character?) side of The Man Show, but he hasn't seemingly tamed himself. The show needs more comedy, but the lack there of may have been because it was a special. Better than Kilborn and Leno, not better than Letterman and Conan. If the show polishes up, it could be good.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Wow, everyone had a different opinion!!!

This is how I would current rank the shows

1) Letterman (classic)
2) Kilborn (Quickly gaining on Letterman)
3) Kimmel (has strong behind-the-scene talent)
4) Conan (mindless sketch comedy does nothing for me)
5) Leno (makes me want to shoot myself)

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
No more Man Show? Guess that was getting a little old. Oh and was that kid doing pre-game "interviews" on ABC the Man Show Boy? Looked kind of like him, but older, hard to tell.

There is something about Kimmel, something charasmatic I guess, like he's jut a guy you could be buddies with. Late night shows kind of bore me. Some boring dialogue and some self-important celebrities talking about their upcoming movies. I'm usuall asleep or soing something else that late anyway. Is Charlie Rose still on? His interviews were intelligent and thoughtful. And yes, Kilborn should never have left ESPN. He was one of my favorites there.

Chris

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You have to remember that Kimmel's live too, so they don't get the chance to polish it up like they do on the other taped late night shows. I thought it was good, the only problem being that Kimmel doesn't let his guests take center stage.

And what about George Clooney getting Snoop Dog drunk? That was classic...

Justin1

Stunt Coordinator
Conan, Kilborn, and Leno were god awful when they first started. The shows were completely stuffed with mindless dribble. Conan didn't even fill the whole hour. I can remember when the show would come back from commercial breaks and just sit idle for about 5-10 min. with the band playing in the background, simply to blow time.

Considering the crappy job that everyone else does their first year as a host, Kimmel was pretty damn good. The beginning of the show needs to be worked out (no standup routine, just sits at desk like a masculine Rosie) and more time needs to go to guests. Clooney had like 3 questions (if you can even call them that) to answer and then he just sat by.

On the good side, it's LIVE. No more of that taped at 6 or 7 bullcrap. Kimmel can pounce on the breaking news if he gets some good writers. Also, the weekly guest is very cool. I miss the co-host aspect of Conan's show. This helps to keep things a little off track and humorous (instead of the predictable PR that Leno does, what CRAP!). Also, I like Kimmel's line of questioning. It might keep him from getting a few high profile guests, but it should be more unpredictable than other shows (come on, having snoop dogg and George Clooney drink it up while they talk about Snoop's drug problem is much better than Leno's "So, what have you been up to, lately?" and having Letterman lie his ass off about loving some movie he hasn't seen, nor ever will).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>5) Leno (makes me want to shoot myself)>>

Agreed. I've only seen bits and peices of his show, but I just don't see what all the hub bub about it is. Why does this guy beat Letterman night after night? They basically run the same type of comedy material, even borrowing bits like 'Newsmakers' once in a while.

Can't help but wonder if the Tonight Show name and it's history is what is drawing people ni. As far as Kimmel goes, I liked him on Ben Steins game show, but missed the talk show premier. Have to check it out next time.

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
"Why does this guy beat Letterman night after night?"

For the answer to that, just look at the movies that were #1 & #2 at the box office a week ago...Kangaroo Jack and National Security. The masses like their humor watered down, predictable and mindless. That is what Leno delivers. The masses approve.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, I have to stick up for Kangaroo Jack on this one. It actually looks like a goofilly fun movie, where you can have fun waisting 90 minutes :).

I think it's in the same boat that 'Dude, Where's my car', is in. I can't beleive I was watching that on HBO a few weeks back. Let alone how far off on a tangent the story line went :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks