What's new

I get a loud 'THUMP' when my SonoSub turns on (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Why and how can I stop this.
Also, it seems around 40Hz or so, I get a lot of boomy bass that seems to fill the room with noise rather then vibrations.
Anyone have helpful tips on set-up. What does a BFD do and would it help.
Peace Out~:D

MarkO

Second Unit
The thump is simply power rushing in on empty circuits, inculding the subs coil. Unlike most reciever and power amps where the circuits are primed before full power is applied.(the delay before the click) Most sub amps apply power imediately. Its kind of similar to turning on youre spicket in youre house, as long as there is water already in the pipes there is no sudden rush of water pressure to fill an empty void. Ever turn on youre spicket after the pipes have been emptied? There is no real fix and I wouldent worry about the thump, it wont hurt the sub in any way. My REL Strata does the same thing.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I fixed the 'THUMP' by setting the amp to AUTO, instead of ON. I have the amp plugged into my Monster HTS2500 and the amp was in the ON position. When the 2500 kicked on, it 'THUMPED' the sub. By setting the sub to AUTO the 'THUMP' is gone.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I had problems with the auto on with my AVA250. For CD or DVD at moderate to loud levels it wasn't an issue, it always came on. Watching DSS though at normal levels it sometimes wouldn't come on, and would cut out even when there was a decent amount of bass.

Solution was to leave it on all the time. From what I was told, when it's on but not amplifing anything, it will draw about $10 of power a year.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll give it a try with the AUTO setting first. It is only on from HT use which is always moderate to loud so I should not have any problems. I just don't like to have things ON all the time. The 'THUMP' is not a huge deal, so it is something I can live with rather than leaving the amp ON.

Todd_B

Second Unit
I have the same problem when I power on my little $80 KLH receiver for my bass shakers.

If my subs amp (PSA-1) is already on and I turn the KLH on I get the very loud THUMP from my SVS.

So if I know I'll be using the shakers I'll turn the KLH on first, while the PSA-1 is in 'stand-by' and it will do nothing but wake the PSA-1 up w/absolutely no THUMP what-so-ever.

Todd B

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't remember the rates or actual kilowatt hours I was told it would draw. When I was given that info though, I do remember looking up my power rate and figuring it out to just over $7CDN/year. So I was listing $10USD as a reasonably safe assumption :p)

Edit:

I just did a search for the post,

AVA250 draws 18 watts an hour in the auto position and 30 watts an hours in the on position. So 12 watts an hour for a year at 7.36 cents CDN an hour works out to less than $8 CDN a year.

Han

Second Unit
I had problems with the auto on with my AVA250. For CD or DVD at moderate to loud levels it wasn't an issue, it always came on. Watching DSS though at normal levels it sometimes wouldn't come on, and would cut out even when there was a decent amount of bass.
Dustin, is your sub connected straight from the LFE out of your receiver, or is it connected from the main L/R outs and then into your main speakers?

Han

Second Unit
I'm just wondering if doing it the other way, instead of LFE out, would make the sub amp detect the DSS bass better.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The problem with the speaker level connections is although the low pass is continously variable from 40-160hz the high pass is fixed at 125hz. I'd much rather have the 80hz crossover of my reciever over the fixed highpass variable low pass of the speaker level connections on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks