What's new

I don't even know what I need, or where to start (1 Viewer)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I used to be a DJ and last Christmas I set up my "2 turntables and a microphone." I bought a new Numark DM1295 Professional DJ Sampling Mixer. I mixed and I scratched and I sampled just like when I was in High School. It was a great little toy and I loved to play with it, FOR ABOUT A DAY! Then I got really bored with it and have only used my turntables to play one record at a time since then.
So anyway here is my problem:
Since all my components are plugged into the mixer and the mixer is plugged into my 5 year old JVC Dolby Pro-Logic receiver, I got used to being able to play any component without having to switch anything on the receiver. I put on a record or a play a CD and I don't have to switch the input. This is the way I would like to keep it but I don't want to have 2 turntables and the mixer set up anymore because I need the space for other stuff.
I would continue to use the mixer but you can't exactly put it in the component stack because it is not meant to fit like that (it fits across two tables like a bridge - 19" rack mount). Also because of its toy-like features (sampler etc.), I don't think it's really meant to serve the purpose (there is some leakage and stuff).
So, can I replace the mixer with some other component that would allow me to plug in 3 CD players, a minidisc player, an SACD player (2 channel only), and a turntable and not have to switch the input everytime I start playing something? Or do I have to replace my receiver with some other type of component? I only use the receiver to amplify and broadcast sound as I don't need the switching and I barely ever use the Tuner. I do need a remote control for volume though.
Am I even in the right section?:confused:
P.S. Anybody want to buy a really cool DJ Mixer?;)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Paul, how many unused inputs do you have on the receiver? You should have 3 or 4. If that isn't enough, radio shack makes several switchers from 2 inputs on up that you could connect to ONE input on the receiver. If you want a little better quality switcher, Niles makes some as well

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, from my limited experience, any switchers you might find would still require you to select the input on the switcher. The mixer is designed to mix all inputs but generally it is considered best if unused channels are not mixed into the stream if not needed. So I'm very doubtful if such a device exists, you'd still have to select the input on the switcher. You may be able to build one, but I'm not sure what that might involve.

Aside from that, there might be receivers out there that can automatically switch for you, but again, I'm not really aware of any that will do that.

Is your JVC unusually awkward at changing inputs? Perhaps upgrading to a more user-friendly receiver with a better remote or better front panel buttons might be a good solution.

- Mike

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Is your JVC unusually awkward at changing inputs?
No Mike, I'm just really lazy. :D
I'm just so used to not having to bother, plus I have the computer plugged in as well and I'm listening to music at the same time so I need at least those two channels mixed. Previously I used the Tape 2 loop for the computer but using the mixer makes it a lot easier to balance the levels of each component so they are all just as loud as each other. Plus, the computer volume output seems like it is much lower than the other components which means I have to jack up the volume on the computer unless I use the mixer to boost it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks