What's new

I am very dissapointed w/ HK 520! (1 Viewer)

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Now let me explain why this unit is upseting me. I just recieved it today and I am trying to set it up. So I can not yet comment on the units audio performace.

First off according to the manual you can adjust your speakers to large or small w/ a 40, 60, 80, or 100hz crossover. So this sounded good to me since I wanted to use small w/ a 80hz crossover. What they neglect to tell you is that in stereo mode it is preset to large. If you want to use a sub it must be: Sub(L + R) 40 or 60hz. Now if I am correct this means your speakers get the full signal and if you want to use a sub it must be in conjuction w/ the large mains w/ a 40 or 60 hz. If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me.

Secondly the manual tells you when adjusting the surround delay for Prologic II add 15ms to whatever measurment you got for Digital. Well ok I got 4ms for Digital so that means 19ms for Prologic, Right. . . . Wrong!!! It is preset at a 10ms difference. For example if I use 4ms for digital pro logic is set automatically set at 14 and likewise if I set Prologic to 19 Digital jumps up to 9!

Well I called customer support over at HK and the SR told me yes I am correct Stereo mode should allow a small setting with an 80 or 100hz crossover, but he could not tell me why it doesn't. As for the delay he said the manual is correct and he is having the same problem with his 520 he was testing. He said maybe since its prologic II the specs are different and it might now be 10ms and the manual is wrong. Either way he was not sure and said he would return my phone call.

So needless to say I have not even had the chance to sit down and enjoy my unit yet. If anyone can jump in and help me out it would be much appreciated. If not at least I did some needed venting!

Rob

bryan_chow

Agent
Seems like you're too obsessed with the numbers.

Calm down, get out your favorite DVD and watch a movie with the HK 520 and see how it performs. Who knows, you might like it.

Bryan

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan I'm still wondering about those things I mentioned but I can tell you after setting the 520 up and doing some listning I feel much better. This thing sounds damn good, and I guess thats the important thing!

Rob

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Rob, the speaker size thing you mention is only an issue for analog stereo input. A digital PCM input would allow a 'small' speaker size. I'm not sure why this is, but it's always been like that on H/K's.

ProLogicII delay is always automatically set at 10ms greater than the Dolby Digital setting (or the other way around).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks