What's new

I AM THE NIGHT (SERIES PREMIERE 1/28/19 TNT 9PM) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Anybody watching this tonight? I've been fascinated by this case and the story of Dr. George Hodel appearing to be the person that not only committed the Black Dahlia murder but others as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm extremely interested in this by virtue of the talent involved: Patty Jenkins as the producing director, gonzo journalist Sam Sheridan writing all six parts, Chris Pine as the male lead.

But there's just too much shit airing at 9 PM on Mondays. If they keep airing the episode again at 10:08, I'll record and watch that. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until the weekend and catch it on demand.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm recording the 10:00 p.m. showing. I don't know if I'll stick with it, but I'll give it a chance.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I watched it last night, I mainly want to see how they depict the case of George Hodel and his possible/probable involvement with several murders. His son Steve Hodel is a retired LA homicide detective that has been writing about his father's gruesome trail since the 2000s. The Hodel family is doing an eight hour podcast that should be pretty interesting...

DESCRIPTION:
“When Elizabeth Short, also known as The Black Dahlia was brutally killed in Los Angeles in 1947, it gripped the entire country and became Americas most famous unsolved murder. The case remains officially open, but many believe Dr. George Hodel to be the killer, thanks to the investigation by Hodel’s own son. For the first time ever, using unearthed archival audio and fresh interviews, the Hodels open up to tell their story, and the harrowing legacy of Dr. Hodel that has lasted generations. It turns out that this famous murder is only one of their awful family secrets. Through 8 episodes, sisters Rasha Pecoraro and Yvette Gentile will take a deep dive into their family history to try to figure out what really happened, and where do they all go from here?”

https://stevehodel.com/2019/01/24/t...mily-and-the-black-dahlia-debuts-feb-13-2019/

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
By the way this show is only set to run six episodes so more of a mini-series than a regular TV series. Because it is attempting to cover actual events that makes sense.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Missed this last night. I was at work and forgot to se the DVR. Am recording the replay on Thursday morning (1AM EST). Looking forward to it.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Had me on the edge of my seat. Suspenseful and well produced. i'm looking forward to future episodes. Everyone is spot on.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, I thought last night's episode was good. It was really just the introductory episode to establish Fauna Hodel and the Chris Pine character. I thought Pine was excellent as the down and out drug addicted reporter.

I expect this story to get much stranger, as George Hodel was a very bizarre guy and he ran with some freaky people. Last night's episode was set many years after the Black Dahlia murder so I wonder if they will get into that via flashbacks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched the first episode and was interested enough that I'll watch the second.

But I don't really know anything about the Black Dahlia murder, so if knowledge of that history is going to be essential for understanding this show, I hope they'll include whatever I need to know at some point.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I am so rooting for this series since I love me some L.A. Noir, plus the actress India Eisley is also the co-lead star in an indie film I wrote coming out later this year, "Altar Rock." Any profile rise she gets from this will help our picture get some attention and hopefully do well.

I'm wondering why Chris Pine is taking such a physically comical approach to his role, including his botched suicide (Jackson Maine succeeded there, bro), but I assume as we get more of his background, the shades of his character will fill in.

I'm impressed they are shooting at the actual house of Hodel. That is one creepy location, though at the time of it's construction they probably thought it was so avant-garde cool. It's right down the street from the Philosophical Society library in Los Feliz, which is just as creepy and hold volumes of 'forbidden' esoteric volumes (lots of Manly Power Hall) and literature. I remember looking for the Necronomicon while visiting there once, LOL.

Tille on phone 2.jpg

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
After finally getting to see this, I am pulled in. I figured the person at the bus station was who it was. Such a creepy conversation. I am very intrigued by this much moreso than last years period drama (The Alienist).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I watched the first episode and was interested enough that I'll watch the second.

But I don't really know anything about the Black Dahlia murder, so if knowledge of that history is going to be essential for understanding this show, I hope they'll include whatever I need to know at some point.

It's likely you don't need to know anything about the Black Dahlia to watch the series but if you read a bit about it, it may deepen your interest. The murder occurred in the late 1940s and the first episode of the series was set in the 1960s, long after the murder.

It is a long "unsolved" Los Angeles murder that was both very strange and gruesome. A young woman was cut in half and the blood drained from her body and then apparently the body was washed clean. Her mouth was slashed open at the corners to give her a big Joker like grin and a few other markings/carvings were left on her body. She was then taken to an open field and the two halves of the body were posed in what appeared to be an intentionally artistic pose so she appeared some sort of work of surrealist art that the killer or killers seemed to want discovered that way.

Now, this is where it gets even stranger and darker. It seemed that when they were investigating this the Los Angeles police appeared to either decide not to follow through on the case or they came to a dead end. The result was they left it unsolved, evidence was locked away for decades, and the killer got away with it. Of course this all was taking place in LA set against the backdrop of the movie business and the art world. The young woman that was murdered was an aspiring actress named Elizabeth Short who looked sort of like Jennifer Connelly.

A whole variety of names pop up as you read about the case. Director John Huston, the artist Man Ray, the artist Fred Sexton (a friend of Huston's and Dr. Hodel's) that actually was the guy that created the falcon used in Huston's film The Maltese Falcon. These guys were all pals, ran in the same circles, and appeared to have participated in/enjoyed some very bizarre parties at the residence of Dr. Hodel. Which as noted by Wayne above actually appears to be being used as a shooting location for this series.

Black Dahlia house.jpg

It is sort of a strange and creepy location where the murder is thought to have taken place before they or he moved the body to the field where she was found. Dr. Hodel and Fred Sexton were also known child molesters having molested their own daughters and apparently participated in some pretty vile stuff together.

Dr. Hodel though was also a guy that performed secret abortions for the rich, powerful, and famous...and notably...for several people on the LA police force. Making him someone that would not be a guy anybody would want speaking publicly about what he knew.

So, it is a strange story to say the least. I could say a lot more about it but the thing is the reason this series has happened is because Dr. George Hodel's son was an LA detective that when he was retiring decided to look into his father. What he discovered was that his dad was a prime suspect in the Black Dahlia murder. In a vault locked away he found the audio surveillance tapes the LA police had made bugging Dr. Hodel's house. On them not only does Hodel appear to admit to the Black Dahlia murder but also to killing his secretary.

So, the primary thing that is in play so far in the series is that Fauna has discovered she is a Hodel and gone to see the man she believes is her grandfather Dr. George Hodel.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's likely you don't need to know anything about the Black Dahlia to watch the series but if you read a bit about it, it may deepen your interest. The murder occurred in the late 1940s and the first episode of the series was set in the 1960s, long after the murder.

It is a long "unsolved" Los Angeles murder that was both very strange and gruesome. A young woman was cut in half and the blood drained from her body and then apparently the body was washed clean. Her mouth was slashed open at the corners to give her a big Joker like grin and a few other markings/carvings were left on her body. She was then taken to an open field and the two halves of the body were posed in what appeared to be an intentionally artistic pose so she appeared some sort of work of surrealist art that the killer or killers seemed to want discovered that way.
For anyone who hasn't seen the Short crime scene or autopsy photos, I recommend that they stay that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks