What's new

I am so jealous of people who have homes with basements (1 Viewer)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I love my basement. It is one of the biggest reasons why I bought my place and why I drive 33 miles to and from work everyday :b .

Michael.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've lived all over the Northeast, and it seems that most homes there have a basement. Here in FL, just about none do.
In most basements, the ceilings are just too low. My parent's house, and all my friend's back home in WV, have ceilings at about 7.5 feet. The only exception I've seen to this, is a friend's house in Atlanta. NINE foot ceilings. It's not fully finished, but NINE feet to the bottom of the floor joists for the main floor. Now that- I could live with.
When I build my next home (myself, most likely), I intend to build a separate structure for the home theater, connected to the main house by a breezeway. It will double as an entertainment area by the pool. That way, there will never be any complaints about the noise.:emoji_thumbsup:
Todd

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on making my HT in my basement, Just have to wait for the funds to start roling in. But there is a real easy way to put to rest your fears of water damage, and that is to install your HT on a Raised floor. This will help your listening experience and if there is ever water problems, you don't have to worry as much.

BTW the reason most/all homes in the north (aka Canada) have basements is because of frost. This causes the ground to freeze and if there was no basement your house would shift. I know in Ontario it is illegal to build a house without the basement going at least a few feet below the frost line.

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
MMMMMM, basement...
Its where I hide from the rest of the world. I could practically live down there....
Computer lab/office, home theatre area, exercise area, workshop area.....
the only thing its missing is a bathroom and a kitchen

That was my primary requirement when we were looking for houses.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
A basement suitable for a dedicated HT room was one of my major criteria when we purchased our house this spring...I couldn't imagine not having a basement.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
A basement can be a blessing and a curse. Depending on its condition/construction.

I've had to work around all sorts of obstacles to create a HT in mine (plumbing, ductwork, low ceilings, support poles). My theater is going to look like some sort of fun house.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Right now, in a heatwave, when its 90 degrees upstairs, it's still 15 degrees cooler in a partially finished basement.

The old turnatble was just reconnected, and the needle doesn't jump when someone moves!

Just have to do something about the furnace when it comes on in winter, and sounds like a train starting up in the room just behind the tv!!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
be careful with the furnace, unless it's a sealed combustion it needs a pretty healthy bit of combustion air, don't want to strangle it trying to make it quieter.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The basement is where I spend most of my waking time around the house. HT, workshop, office, bar, and play room are all nestled in the subterranean lair. There's probably something primal about wanting to hunker down in a nice safe cave. Sure I worry about flooding but every house has its own inherent dangers to fret about. We're house hunting now and I dread having to finish another basement but you better believe that'll be a top priority if the new house is lacking a decent cave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks