i am playing mdk2 and hate it to death

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jun 24, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i just got a headache, complete with the dreadful sea sickness.

i made it a habit to play a pretty game even though i dont like it. the purpose is to screen capture the game. i then store the screenshots in my hard drive for my game library.

i didnt enjoy the game at all. playing it is stressfull. it is also very linear. the camera movement is awful, the game is not funny even though the designers tried very hard to make it funny looking. what is worse, the goal in each segment is not clear. it is really frustrating to think clearly and explore the environment when there are constant barrage from never ending enemies. i mean, it is simply not fun to play.

but the game itself is gorgeous. i am playing on 1280 times 960 resolution, and it IS gorrrgeous. the artwork is amazing.

if there was anybody who really enjoy this game, please let me know what made you like it. i can never understand why this game got good reviews from a lot of publications.

thanks

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Yeah, this was a beautiful game with pretty good play mechanics, but it was maddeningly hard. I like a challenge, but when the first boss is harder than any end boss you've ever played, somebody at the developer hates video game players.

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

My first introduction to MDK2 was on the downloadable PC demo. The difficulty level was ramped down somewhat, and the demo was brief enough to allow play for all 3 characters, including the professor. There was something very satisfying about equipping all six (or is it 4?) arms of the dog with your best weaponry and running into a room guns blazing.

I just found the increasingly rare Dreamcast version of MDK2 for a great price. It's graphically superior than the PS2 version (better lighting effects and textures), inferior to the PC of course, and cost a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, there is no mouse/keyboard support as far as I know, and that is half the trick to progressing in MDK2.

I agree about the difficulty.. it gets just plain ridiculous.

I think the reason it got good reviews is because despite issues with difficulty, it is a nice looking game, and it doesn't take itself too seriously in the humor department. It's a spoof that draws inspiration from comic books, and that element appeals to a lot of gamers.

-j

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's a VERY tough game... Punishing & brutal... But it knows it - it definitely rewards the player with new toys & experiences as you go through it, and when you successfully complete a challenge, you *feel* like you've accomplished something - a feeling that's getting rarer in a lot of games.
    I suspect it fell into the trap of the testers/developers getting TOO good at it & getting the difficulty increased because of that.
    I love the look, I love the feel. One of my favourite "lesser known" DC games. Still to finish it. [​IMG]

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Okay, I'll bite. MDK2?

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

MDK2, by Bioware, sequel to MDK (aka Murder Death Kill) by Shiny. Came out a little over two years ago on the DC & PC, later followed by a PS2 conversion.
    Bioware took Shiny's MDK design & overhauled it, giving it a better 'rooting' & sense of humour. The DC version is gorgeous - high-res textures, lovely level architecture & general look to the models.
    The game is *insanely* tough. INSANELY tough.
    IGN's 9.4 review of the DC version

7. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Excellent game! Hardest game I have ever played and I too have yet to finish the DC version.
    Suffice it to say that it is one of the most challenging, wonderfully designed, hilariously executed games ever.
    Tough, tough, tough is right![​IMG]

8. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

I think I have a love/hate relationship with this game. On one hand, I really love the atmosphere. Great graphics, nice sound, and lots of humor and weirdness.
    The hate comes from the difficulty. I eventually beat the first boss after many dozens of tries, but I soon got stuck in level 2. This is one of those games where I'm pretty sure I will never see the end. [​IMG]
    (I'm talking about the DC version. I heard the PS2 port has an adjustable difficulty level -- can anyone who's played it comment on this? Is there a setting that's easier than the DC version?)

9. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone finished this? I have the DC version, and it remains unfinished for me. If only they'd given it a more generous save system. Nothing worse than having to do levels again and again because you can't make it to the next save point.

Nice look and feel. Oh for a mouse to control it though.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

MDK means Max, Doctor (whatever his name is), Kurt, the three main characters. I think.

Anyhoo, this game was touch as hell. I got through MOST of it, but it just became too hard. Still extrememly fun and addictive.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Oh....anyway, still a good game.

14. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I agree, this game is probably too difficult, but that first boss - I really had to stop and think about what I was doing (apart from staying almost constantly on the move) and when I finally found the right place from which to stand and snipe (and run, etc.), it was extremely fulfilling.
    All in all, I've found it easier (and far more fun) than Jet Force Gemini for the N64, its closest cousin in my game library. The latter also had an irritating control scheme and unforgiving difficultly problems but (unlike MDK2) suffers from an abysmally slow framerate and IMO is far more frustrating.
    Mouse/keyboard support would've been great with this one. I second the comment about the textures, they are fantastic.
    ~Steve

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I actually beat JFG and got all the secrets. Can't say the same for MDK2.

16. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

What Morgan said.
    I absolutely hate games I can't finish (as in snap , crackle, pop that sucker out the window... skeet shooting). I purchased MDK2 based on the IGN review (which slightly neglected to mention the difficulty). I'll say what everyone else already has: a totally beautiful game with excellent voice acting that is wretchedly annoyingly hunt-down-the-programmers-and-kill-em hard. [​IMG]

17. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I loved that game. Played it on PC a while back. Love the comic bookiness[​IMG] of it
    Max kicks ass!

18. felix_suwarno

"I absolutely hate games I can't finish "

agreed

"I'll say what everyone else already has: a totally beautiful game with excellent voice acting that is wretchedly annoyingly hunt-down-the-programmers-and-kill-em hard"

agreed

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave

20. felix_suwarno

i am a grad student of computer graphics. need tons of reference. and even though i dont like the game i really like the graphics. its beautiful.