What's new

I am about to buy a Panasonic CV51 am I making a mistake? (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Hey all,
I wanted a DVD player that would play audio CD's as good
as it does DVD's and I want to play CR-R/CD-RW and MP3 this
is a MUST and it also MUST be a 5 disk changer.. The CV51
seems to fit the bill to a T.. I went to audioreview.com
and this player must be too new becuase it's not listed!
Anyone here have one? Give me your personal fist hand
experiances and your opinions.. And maybe some other
options.. I can get this player (Retails for $300.00)
for $208.00 from Etronics.com
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
well, i don't have the cv51, but i do have its predecessor, the cv50. It doesn't have the cd-r/cd-rw/mp3 capabilities of the 51, but for cd/dvd playback i am very satisfied with its performance, and have never regretted my decision to pick it up over a year ago for $292.50 after shipping :)

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
I bought one of these about a month ago and so far I'm very happy with it. Admitedly I'm new to home theatre and need a new receiver and speakers to really take advantage of the DVD surround abilities. Nor do I currently have any MP3 CD's to try on it. But the sound quality on my CD's is great. The changer transport is a little noisy when it goes from CD to CD, not sure if that's a common complaint on changers. The DVD picture is great. My only complaint is without a proper surround receiver and no center channel speaker the dialogue is problematic. It's either difficult to understand or the background music and effects are too loud. Can't really judge if that's the fault of the player though. Generally though I don't see why you wouldn't be happy with this player.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Thanks for the info Evan and Jim. I am fairly certain this
is the DVD player I will go with but I will kick back and
wait for some more replies to this thread and see what some
others have to say as well.
Thanks again!
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a Panasonic CV51. Not sure if its my receivers fault, but when playing some CD's, the receiver cuts off the beginning of certain songs. I thought it might be my receiver, but I wonder if it is my DVD player. The only other thing I don't like is when I turn it on, it takes forever before I can play a disc and when I turn it on and press eject, it has to examine all the discs first. Its also slow changing audio CD's, takes long to read the next disc. Not nearly enough to discourage me now that I own the player. Since its my DVD player, it works perfectly fine for my main purpose.
I like the panasonic CV 51 because I can play multiple DVD's, more than one DVD movie (like a DVD movie and the extra's) without having to change the discs. I like playing CDR and CDRW discs with MP3's. The video and audio of the player are otherwise good. Its a really good interlaced player which I intend to use for a few years until progressive players become more consistent and affordable in terms of bug-free playback and performance.
One really handy thing is if you get a bunch of your fave songs and rip them on your PC and burn them onto CDR or CDRW's as MP3's, then with 5 discs, you can have 600 songs at your finger tips! Nice for parties? I think for not having to search for CD's or have to change them.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,
That is the boat I am in too, I have some 20+ gig of MP3
on CD-R that I want to be able to play on more than just
my PC. I want to make sure that this player plays MP3's
cleanly and does the same for Audio CD's. Yes it has to
play DVD's flawlessly as well but since I am not going
with a seperate CD Changer the audio factor is very
high in this choice.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Oh and the drop-outs for audio don't happen when playing MP3's. I think maybe it only happens on CD's that don't have silence but instead have a pause or blank space. That usually shuts off the digital audio signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks