What's new

I am a car audio converted to home audio, and need guidance (1 Viewer)

Brad Hamme

Auditioning
Howdy, I am a newbie here and have read tons of awesome information, which leaves me with a few questions. I am updating my old "home theater" system and needed help. I listen to music/movies 85/15. I currently have a pioneer vsx series receiver, Bose 301 (Bose is the best right? j/k) and a cerwin sub. I just purchased a pair of paradigm monitor 9's off of a friends recommendation, but i have no intention of connection them to the pioneer. I was looking at a marantz 6200, but i would rather go with separates if possible. I would like to keep the budget to around a grand for the amp/pre amp, but I am not sure what route to take. I have seen Proton mentioned, but I am skeptical because of the low price. If anyone has info on the as-2631/2580 I would love some feed back on them. I am also very open to suggestions. If going the receiver route would be wise at this time, Suggestions for those would be great. I have seen people talk about the Sherwood Newcastle 9080 used, the myryad t-70, and adcom gfa 7300. I realize i would be over 1000 with a pre, but again, if it is worth it value and quality wise, I don't mind too much. Many thanks to anyone who has read through this massive compilation of unorganized thought, and also to those who respond.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think that if you want to keep your budget under $1k, and listen to Music/Movies 85/15, then maybe your best bet is a combination seperates/receiver combo. What you could do is get a decent receiver with pre-outs for around $400 or so, and then get an integrated amplifier (like one of the Anthem models), hook up the main pre-outs to the SSP loop and you will have the best of both worlds. If you are willing to spend over $1k, then I would have to suggest going into seperates, buying the amp first, as you can always use a good amp.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome :D
I haven't heard one, but consider the Outlaw 1050 as a pre-amp.
I own a Marantz SR6200, and I recently upgraded my mains from Mini Monitors to Monitor 5s, and I am very pleased with the performance. The 6200 does have 6.1 preamp outs, so you can use it as a pre/pro for the time being and get a good amp, then replace the 6200 later. This was my thought also, but even with the Monitor 5s, the 6200 has more than enough power for these speakers and my room (~13x24x9). I bought it specifically because it had the best sound for music of those I listened to, as I listen to mostly music also.

Brad Hamme

Auditioning
Thanks guys. I had a friend also reccomend the oulaw as a pre. I was looking around, and i think i might buy his HK avr 5 as a pre and go with a rotel or comparable 2 channel amp.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brad,
Welcome to the Forum!
I have to admit, when I saw the title of your thread, I figured “Oh boy, here comes another one of those ‘I have this car amp laying around and wondered if I could use it in my home theater’ ” questions...
Well, I’m happy to see you “disappointed” me! Looks like you’re on the right track with some quality homegear – and leaving the car gear where it belongs!
You’ll find all the answers you need from the friendly folks on this Forum! Have fun!
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Outlaw 1050 or the Denon 3800 reciever as a preamp $350-500 used. Jolida 302a or 502a $550 and under used.

Brad Hamme

Auditioning
Wayne-Thanks for the jovial welcome. I understand where you are comming from on the "car amp in ht". I am into sound quality in car audio, and get a lot of questions about using klh home speakers in a car. Glad didnt dissapoint you.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Yikes, it goes the other way, too??!
Yup, I actually witnessed it myself. Co-worker from work wanted us all to come out on our break to check out his "killer" car sound system.
I couldn't believe my eyes. The man actually mounted and hooked up a Bose Acoustimass system in his car. He had the mounting brackets attached the car pillars. He even had the acoustimass sub module in the trunk. All powered by some cheap RCA receiver. He had speaker wire hanging from everywhere. It was done so poor. And boy did it sound poor. He told us that he wanted to take his car and compete. Wow :rolleyes

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Amazing.
Somebody, please help me: should I laugh or cry!

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Man for all you car audio guys check out arc audio amps and rainbow audio speakers. I've never heard a speaker that is so easy to adapt into cars or SUVs acoustics.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I also stepped from Car Audio into Home Audio. I also went with Monitor 9's for my first set. They are great speakers.

I believe the Outlaw with a nice parasound/rotel/sherwood/ati amp would be wonderful for an initial setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks