What's new

Hunter: The Reckoning style games (1 Viewer)

John Chow

Second Unit
A friend of mine brought over his Xbox this past weekend, and after playing a demo of Hunter, we got hooked, ended up getting it, and then wasting a good portion of a day playing it. My question is, what other games of this genre are out there? To me this is a genre that is sorely under-represented. When Bouncer first came out, I had hoped that it would be one, but the lack of a multiplayer coop mode took it off consideration. I did end up renting it though, but found it to be mediocre at best. I suppose Gauntlet would fit in this category, but there really isn't much variety in it. It's basically use magic or swing sword. I absolutely loved the variety of Hunter that gave you 4 different characters, a ranged attack, and a melee attack. Basically hoping there's a gem out there for the PS2 I might have missed, and failing that, perhaps something good for the PS1.

It seems that coop games in general are something that are lacking in today's video games. After playing Halo some this past weekend, I've came to the conclusion that the game itself was nothing special (i know, heresy), but it is the multiplayer coop mode that makes it fun. Otherwise it really doesn't seem any different from all the other billions of FPS that are out there.

I still remember back in the day, before the arcades were taken over by fighting games and dance pads, playing Final Fight for the first time. I got instantly hooked on it and the rest of the genre. TMNT, Simpsons, Warriors of Fate, Xmen, D&D, and Aliens vs. Predator were some of the best in the genre. Unfortunately it looks like there won't be any more such games in the arcades any time soon.

StevenK

Second Unit
I agree with you on Halo...I didn't really care about single player. But multiplayer was one of the best gaming experience ever...ranked right below 2-player Star Control 2 and the 12 hour sessions of Civilization.

Anyhow...I've been searching long and hard for a Hunter like game and alas nothing....

I tried Dynasty Warriors (or something like that) for the PS2, but that sucked and wasn't nearly as fun as Hunter or Halo multiplayer. Yeah, how I'd wish they make a decent Contra or Double Dragon for these new consoles.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Two multi-player 3rd person Xbox games you might want to keep an eye on are Whacked! which I believe is out now, and Brute Force, which has been pushed back so I'm not sure when it is going to be released
Whacked! is a kind of party game, with cartoonish charachters and related mayhem, while Brute Force is an action/strategy game that has been billed as the system's first Halo killer. I'm interested in both myself.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
There is a Contra game about to be released for the PS2 in a short while. I'm pretty sure it has coop multiplayer too and it's in good old 2d, ok pseudo 2d but still pretty damn cool.

John Chow

Second Unit
Yeah, Contra should be coming out next week, and if the movies are any indication, it's looking pretty sweet.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
You might want to give Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance a try on the PS2. It's an action RPG, kind of like Diablo and it has a coop multiplayer mode. It's also coming out on the XBox.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Having played the demo version of Whacked a few times, so far I am not a fan. It plays very similarly to Cel Damage, and seems to be a frenetic button-masher more than anything. Brute Force I have been looking forward to for months, but the last update indicated that it wouldn't support Xbox Live. Hopefully the most recent delay was to incorporate XBL, but I don't think that's going to happen. I'm not sure it supports system-link either. Still, the split-screen multiplayer sounds intriguing, especially how people can join or quit the game as easily as plugging and unplugging controllers.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I think Brute Force is the best bet for a Hunter type. Real problem is that Hunter is unfortunately the exception to the rule for co-op, it did almost everything right.

I suspect once XBox Live! rolls out this Nov, there will be a nice little resurgence of online co-op games coming out next year.

Steven M K

Auditioning
I haven't played it yet, but the quest mode of TimeSplitters 2 is supposed to have a co-op option, as well as totally customizable multi-player matches.

Many of the game's developers are ex-Rare employees whoi were responsible for Goldeneye. Most of the reviews of the game have been positive, essentially saying - "If you liked Goleneye, you'll love Timesplitters 2."

I'll post some impressions soon. The game's available for all three systems.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Brian -
He said that he wanted good co-op play but was not interested in Gauntlet. I can't think of another co-op game in the same genre as Hunter for Xbox. So I think Brute force, although a shooter, might provide the kind of co-op fun he is looking for. Otherwise, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance might squeeze in (never played it multi so I can't comment on how well it works.)
Only other sure-fire option would be to wait for Hunter 2 ;)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I present the original question:
My question is, what other games of this genre are out there?
;) I still think Baldurs Gate + Gauntlet are closest to what he's after. If you're offering Brute Force, you may as well suggest Halo/TS2 etc.

John Chow

Second Unit
Hm... I haven't really looked into Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance at all, since I didn't particularly care for the PC Baldur's Gate. I did all(or most) of the sidequests on the way to the city of Baldur's Gate, and then just got bored with it. I've beaten Gauntlet in the arcade (had a friend who worked in the arcade who turned the machine to free play mode), and I didn't really get all that much enjoyment out of it, so I've pretty much avoided it. Ah well, aside from the rare exception, looks like the days of the beat 'em up are over.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 Baldur's Gate game is VERY different to the PC ones, John. It's much more of an action game rather than a RPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks