What's new

Hum with my twin SVS (1 Viewer)

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Well, I have had my SVS 16/46's for about 8 months now and the strangest thing has occurred. The other day I noticed that there was no bass coming from my subs. So, I mentioned it to my wife and she apologized because she had unplugged them both. Apparently, my son had a car go behind one of the subs and when she went to get it, she bumped something and the sub started humming. So she unplugged them.
I have two SVS subs, one in the left corner of the room and the other in the right corner. My equipment is in another room so I had the wiring professionally installed while my house was being built. Well, when I hooked them back up I got only ONE sub to work. The left one. This was when BOTH subs were connected. If I only hook the left one up, it HUMS. The right one will not come on. Even when it is the only one hooked up, it just does not come on.
I have switched out the wiring from the walls to the subs and from the wall to the receiver but to no avail. What would be my next thing to do. They have both worked in the past. The trouble came in when my wife bumped the wires behind the left sub.
I hope that this makes sense. Thanks for any help.
Jeff Aguilar

Jeff-
Well it sounds like they are blown! Just send one to me so I can make sure
yum.gif

I hope you find out what is wrong with them.
Ron Aguilar
(the evil twin who wants his twin's SVS)
------------------

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The only other thing to check is to switch out the subs themselves to rule out one of the subs not working. Are the subs powered or do you plug them into an outboard amp?
I am sure that Tom or Ron will be in here soon but it sounds to me like a power supply problem. Either that or the sub got damaged in some way.
Hopefully Tom and Ron can help you get this resolved.
Parker

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
I'll ask the obvious: have you checked to see that the outlets are indeed putting out the proper voltage?
------------------

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Parker,
They are the powered line of subs. The sub that works has a green light, so I know that it is getting the signal, but the right side always shows a red light. I have tried to switching to on, it was on auto.
My dear brother,
No, you can not have one!!!
Jerry,
I do not know how to check to see if the proper voltage is coming out of the walls. I hope that it is because they have worked flawlessly in the past.
It seems when both subs are plugged in the left one works, but when only the left side is plugged in it hums. Its kind of like the loop for one sub is complete when both are plugged in.
Jeff

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'd try to figure out if it's a woof issue,or a cable issue.
Try setting one of the enclosures as close to the receiver as possible. Plug it into an outlet that you are sure iw working fine. Make sure the 110/220v switch on the amp didn't get bumped to the 220v setting. use a DIFFERENT interconnect(a basic video cable is fine)...and patch the receiver into the subwoofer sitting in the middle of the room now.
Also,make sure the patch cord didn't get bumped out by someone--who may have just plugged it back into the first RCA input on the amp they saw.
If the subwoofer isn't working right, double check the bass management settings in the receiver.
If the subwoofer seems ok out in the middle of the floor...it's probably not that sub that's the problem. Then repeat using the second subwoofer. chances are some of the cabling has a short in it somewhere along the signal chain.
TV

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jeff:
Did you try switching the subs out with each other and see if you get the same response?
Tom:
Would he get a red indicator if the amp in the sub was shorted? He said he is getting a green indicator with the one that has sound coming out of it. What is this indicator for? That you have a signal or what?
Parker

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
if you have it to ON, it should always be RED.
if you have it to OFF,it should always be green
if you ahve it to AUTO---it will be green until it gets a signal...then it changes to RED.
good catch Parker...
TV

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Update:
Well, tonight is my Friday night, I always work on weekends. I finally got around to checking out the subs tonight.
Tom, I unplugged the sub that was not working and took it into my den with my components and plugged it in, and it worked. So I knew it was not a problem with the subs. That sub that did NOT worked had a red light...go figure.
I had my installer, the jerk who screwed me by not delivering almost $10,000 of services in my new home, come out and finish wiring my house over the 4th of July. He put face plates on the big runs of wires into my den and in the family room. Anyway, I had my subs hooked up with bare wire as a temporary solution. He apparently did not hook up the wires to the wall plates the way I had them hooked up. I ended up having to figure out what he TRIED to do and FIX it. UNBELIEVABLE.
At least both of my subs are working again. You can really tell a difference with 2 of these babies going! Now I just need to re-calibrate. I have to wait for the kids to wake up in the morning. I do not want them to wake up yet!!!
By the way Tom, both lights on the subs are RED now.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Sincerely,
Jeff Aguilar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks