What's new

HTR-5550 Specification Question...Treble/Bass Boost (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
This unit (Yamaha HTR-5550) has front panel analog Treble and Bass adjustments. They don't seem to do anything but that may be because I don't know what the specification mean so I don't know what to listen for.

The specification is stated this way:

Tone Control Main L&R:

BASS boost/Cut +/-10db/50Hz

TREBLE Boost/Cut +/-10db/20Khz

What does this mean? I have my mains set to SMALL if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Art Morales

Agent
They may not work if you're running any kind of surround mode try turning the effects off they should work in straight stereo mode.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Art:

Your are right on. The Bass and Treble do nothing when in the DSP modes as best I can tell. In Stereo, DD5.1, DTS, DPL and DPL II they do work it is easy to hear.

Thanks

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Richard:

So what do ya' think? Are you going to keep it? Also, does it have enough power for you?

Richard_s

Second Unit
John:
My last post in the following link summarizes where I am at on this. I appreciate your interest. YES it has enough clean and crisp power for sure.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=65559
Close to saying YES but I need to understand if the Yamaha has a built in LFE adjustment "correction" for the difference between DTS and DD5.1 will know soon. The HTR-5550 only has a single adjustment for LFE and this affects the DD5.1 for sure I checked using AVIA. The remaining concern is that this receiver does not have a separeate adjustment for the DTS LFE capability (but this may be programmed into that mode relative the the setting for DD5.1 I just don't know yet).
ALL
I hope it has a built in adjustment. If it does not the BASS boost/Cut +/-10db/50Hz may allow for me to compensate well enough. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Good to see you're happy with the unit. I too would like to know exactly what those treble/bass stats really mean. My guess is that you can adjust that particular frequency (50Hz or 20Khz) by +/-10db. However, I wonder if that bass adjustment affects the subwhoofer. I have a feeling it does not.

- Mike

Richard_s

Second Unit
Mike:

The Bass adjustment definitely affects the Subwoofer what I can't tell is if it affects only the redirected Bass of the Mains, the LFE or Both.

I am beginning to think that the Bass boost/cut is a high pass filter of some order and I am setting the amount of attenuation or amplification at 50Hz for that filter. This would mean more effect below 50 hz and less above 50Hz.

For the Treble Boost/cut that may be a low pass filter of some order and I am setting the Attenuation and amplification at 20Khz for that filter. This would mean more effect above 20Khz and less below 20Khz.

Good news is that both set to 0db position sounds just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks