What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Warner's Film Noir Classic Collection Volume Two (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It seems unlikely that Paxton was blacklisted, since he was writing all through the 50s, up to 1959. Something happened then, cause his next film wasn't until 1971, but it seems unlikely that he was blacklisted during the 60s.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I'm well aware of Paxton's film credits too.;) However, my question is still a valid one because the blacklist was a long list that affected people directly and indirectly. It could've been a case of writer block or bad decisions on his part in regard to writing material. What was the problem which is really what I'm trying to find out?

Herb,
I just finished the Muller commentary on Born to Kill. I found Muller's commentary enlightening and entertaining at the same time.

Crawdaddy

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Totally agree Crawdaddy. I think its by far, the best commentary in the set. I really wish they'd include more Muller contributions - he has a great deal to contribute and is extremely knowledgeable.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the last movie I got to in the set, which was a completely blind buy for me, I'd never seen any of the movies. Ended with a bang, as I saved The Narrow Margin for last. That and Crossfire really are classics, and in different ways as well. Crossfire has that terrific blend of social commentary with noir stylings, as RAH said, and Narrow Margin is just pure genre, executed at about the highest possible level.

Question about the DVD of Narrow Margin: what's the music playing over the main menu? There isn't any in the film, aside from a couple of scenes with the record player in Marie Windsor's train compartment.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. But I fail to see how a person who not only was writing prolifically for tv and film during the 50's and was even the producer of one film during that time frame could have been blacklisted.

On the other hand, both the director and producer of the film (Dymtryk and Scott) were blacklisted, though Dymtryk did a Kazan and got off of it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As stated in my previous post, I'm trying to find out what happened to Paxton's writing career. I threw out the possibity that the blacklist effected his career because some of his closest working associates, who were probably friends of his were publicly listed on that list and were sent to prison. This without a doubt had to effect him personally and professionally too whether he was actually blacklisted himself which from the research I've done, he wasn't on it or just wasn't hired as a writer very often due to guilt by association. Or maybe, he simply decided to do some other kind of writing besides screenwriting. I don't know what happen to him, but I would like to find out.

Crawdaddy

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I watched The Narrow Margin over the weekend, and thankfully had no problems.

It was a great film, BTW. Back then, they could make a complete, riveting film in 71 minutes. Today, they make blockbusters running well over 2 hours, making me think "when will it end?"

The Narrow Margin seems to me (and also the reviewer in Silver's Film Noir book) to be borderline noir. It had the visual style, the crime elements, the femme(s?) fatale, and the double crossing. However, I don't see a main element of noir: the alienated, morally-compromised protagonist. Sure, the detective was tempted, but he never really was swayed from his convictions.

Doug

Hi all,

I'm a little late in viewing the movies in volume II but just wanted to express my thoughts on the titles and some other Noirs. This last week I've been watching a lot of noir. I've caught:

Born to Kill
Crossfire
Narrow Margin
Clash by Night
The Set-Up
The Street With No Name
and Somewhere in the Night

I really enjoyed Born to Kill and Crossfire. I'm really getting into Robert Mitchum. I'll have to go back and watch Out of the Past. I also enjoyed Street With No Name and Somewhere in the Night. The latter had a D.O.A feel to it. I personally love movies where you have no idea what the hell is going on.

The Set-Up I didn't enjoy. It didn't feel like Noir at all and I couldn't get into it. It really felt like a play. Based on a poem!!?? WTF!

Narrow Margin was awesome. From the very beginning of the movie the plots develops. There isn't a wasted second. It's a short movie but it packs a punch. I love the economy of the film. I have no problem with long movies but this one shows that you don't always need three hours.

Clash by Night blew me away. What a fantastic, great, perfect movie. Probably more melodramatic then your average Noir but the characters were so well played and the script so well writen, how could you not like this movie. Marilyn had a great role as did her on screen fiance, Joe. Joe's little speech at the end was terrific. I can't say enough about this movie. In fact, I decided to buy Scarlet Street as a blind buy later this month. If Fritz Lang's direction is as good in that movie as in Clash I should enjoy it. You can never have enough Edward G. Robinson either.

I can't wait for the next Fox Noir titles and for the next Warner Noir box set. Is there any word yet as to what titles we can expect in volume III?

By the way, as a Canadian I am so happy to see that we are now getting Turner Classic Movies. It's about time that we have a reasonable channel for movies on TV. I now have a reason to watch TV again.

bye for now. must watch more movies

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks